No verdict has been reached on single-stage removal of gastric banding with sleeve gastrectomy.
To report 5-year outcomes of 1-stage gastric band removal and sleeve gastrectomy (Conversion-LSG) compared with primary laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy (Prim-LSG).
Large single-surgeon prospective database.
Two patient groups were included: Conversion-LSG as the study group and Prim-LSG for comparison. Preconversion characteristics, conversion indication, weight loss, and complications were compared. The surgical protocol was reviewed, focusing on key technical recommendations.
A total of 209 Conversion-LSG and 3268 Prim-LSG patients, aged 32.9±9.8 and 31.8±10.7 years respectively (P = .2), were studied. No significant differences in age, body mass index (BMI), or gender distribution existed. Conversion-LSG Baseline BMI was 47±12 kg/m2. Patients spent 6.2±2.6 years with the band before Conversion-LSG. BMI at 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 years was 37±8, 31±9, 29±11, 30±9, and 30±11 kg/m2, respectively. No significant difference in BMI change between the 2 groups existed. In the Conversion-LSG group, 1 patient had a successfully stented leak but developed a gastrobronchial fistula 1 year later. In the Prim-LSG group, 3 leak cases were reported and managed successfully through endoscopic stenting, 1 patient had pulmonary embolism that responded to standard treatment, and 3 patients had postoperative bleeding. No other major complications occurred, and there was no mortality in either group. Additionally, no Conversion-LSG patients required further bariatric intervention.
Employing the surgical technique described in this paper, conversion-LSG is as well tolerated and effective as primary sleeve gastrectomy.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Revisional surgery after failed laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding: a systematic review.Surg Endosc. 2013; 27: 740-745
- Sleeve gastrectomy as a revisional procedure.in: Brethauer S.A. Schauer P.R. Schirmer B.D. Minimally Invasive Bariatric Surgery. Springer, New York2015: 173-177
- One or two steps for laparoscopic conversion of failed adjustable gastric banding to sleeve gastrectomy: a nationwide French study on 3,357 morbidly obese patients.Surg Obes Relat Dis. Epub. 2015 Oct 21;
- Long-term complications requiring reoperations after laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding: a systematic review.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2015; 11: 956-964
- Is laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy a lower risk bariatric procedure compared with laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass? A meta-analysis.Am J Surg. 2014; 208 (discussion 9–10): 903-910
- The effectiveness and risks of bariatric surgery: An updated systematic review and meta-analysis, 2003-2012.JAMA Surgery. 2014; 149: 275-287
- A nationwide survey on bariatric surgery in Germany--results 2005-2007.Obes Surg. 2009; 19: 105-112
- Survey on laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy (LSG) at the Fourth International Consensus Summit on Sleeve Gastrectomy.Obes Surg. 2013; 23: 2013-2017
- Hospital complication rates with bariatric surgery in Michigan.JAMA. 2010; 304: 435-442
- Statistical evaluation of learning curve effects in surgical trials.Clin Trials. 2004; 1: 421-427
- The learning curve for laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass is 100 cases.Surg Endosc. 2003; 17: 212-215
- Impact of gastric bypass operation on survival: a population-based analysis.J Am Coll Surg. 2004; 199: 543-551
- Influence of the learning curve on safety and efficiency of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy.Obes Surg. 2012; 22: 411-415
- Is a one-step sleeve gastrectomy indicated as a revision procedure after gastric banding? Data analysis from a quality assurance study of the surgical treatment of obesity in Germany.Obes Surg. 2014; 24: 9-14
- Revisional surgery and reoperations in obesity and metabolic surgery: Data analysis of the German bariatric surgery registry 2005-2012 [in German].Chirurg. 2015; 86: 346-354
- Importance of hospital versus surgeon volume in predicting outcomes for gastric bypass procedures.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2013; 9: 247-252
- Surgeon volume and operative mortality in the United States.N Engl J Med. 2003; 349: 2117-2127
- Pledging to eliminate low-volume surgery.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 1388-1390
- Physician and hospital factors associated with mortality of surgical patients.Med Care. 1986; 24: 785-800
- Should operations be regionalized? The empirical relation between surgical volume and mortality.N Engl J Med. 1979; 301: 1364-1369
- Safety of one-step conversion of gastric band to sleeve: a comparative analysis of ACS-NSQIP data.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2015; 11: 386-391
- Comparison of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy leak rates in four staple-line reinforcement options: a systematic review.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2014; 10: 713-723
- Revisions after failed gastric band: sleeve gastrectomy and Roux-en-Y gastric bypass.Surg Endosc. 2015; 29: 2533-2537
- Revisional surgery after LAGB.in: Agrawal S. Obesity, Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery. Springer International Publishing, Cham2015: 403-411
- Burden of adhesions in abdominal and pelvic surgery: systematic review and met-analysis.BMJ. 2013; 347: f5588
- Consequences and complications of peritoneal adhesions.Colorectal Dis. 2007; 9: 25-34
- Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy as a revisional procedure for failed gastric banding: lessons from 300 consecutive cases.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2014; 10: 1116-1122
- Sleeve gastrectomy or gastric bypass as revisional bariatric procedures: retrospective evaluation of outcomes.Surg Endosc. 2013; 27: 4277-4283
- Two-year results on morbidity, weight loss and quality of life of sleeve gastrectomy as first procedure, sleeve gastrectomy after failure of gastric banding and gastric banding.Obes Surg. 2010; 20: 679-684
- Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy as a revisional option after gastric band failure.Surg Endosc. 2011; 25: 2626-2630
- Simultaneous gastric band removal and sleeve gastrectomy: a comparison with front-line sleeve gastrectomy.Obes Surg. 2012; 22: 1420-1426
- Laparoscopic removal of poor outcome gastric banding with concomitant sleeve gastrectomy.Obes Surg. 2013; 23: 782-787
- Five-year results of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2014; 10: 243-249
Published online: May 20, 2016
Accepted: May 15, 2016
Received: January 27, 2016
© 2016 American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.