Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases
- The state of US health, 1990-2010: Burden of diseases, injuries, and risk factors.J Am Med Assoc. 2013; 310: 591-608
U. S. Department of Health and Human Services. The health consequences of smoking: 50 years of progress, a report of the Surgeon General. Atlanta, GA; 2014.
- Tobacco product use among adults - United States, 2013-2014.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2016; 65: 685-691
- Clinical Guidelines on the Identification, Evaluation, and Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults.National Institutes of Health National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute. 1998;
- Prevalence of overweight, obesity, and extreme obesity among adults: United States, trends 1960-1962 through 2011-2012.NCHS Health E-Stats. 2014; : 1-6
- Ten-year weight gain in smokers who quit, smokers who continued smoking and never smokers in the United States, NHANES 2003-2012.Int J Obes (Lond). 2015; 39: 1727-1732
- 50-year trends in smoking-related mortality in the United States.N Engl J Med. 2013; 368: 351-364
- Association of all-cause mortality with overweight and obesity using standard body mass index categories: a systematic review and meta-analysis.JAMA. 2013; 309: 71-82
- The mortality risk of smoking and obesity combined.Am J Prev Med. 2006; 31: 355-362
- Joint association of adiposity and smoking with mortality among U.S. adults.Prev Med. 2013; 56: 178-184
- Bariatric surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis.JAMA. 2004; 292: 1724-1737
- Long-term outcomes after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: 10- to 13-year data.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2016; 12: 11-20
- The effect of smoking on bariatric surgical outcomes.Surg Endosc. 2014; 28: 3074-3080
- Complications after laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass in 1573 consecutive patients: are there predictors?.Obes Surg. 2016; 26: 12-20
- National Surgical Quality Improvement Program analysis of bariatric operations: modifiable risk factors contribute to bariatric surgical adverse outcomes.J Am Coll Surg. 2006; 203: 625-633
- Treating tobacco use and dependence: 2008 update. Clinical practice guideline.Department of health and Human Services. Public Health Service, Rockville, MD: U.S.2008
- Effects of smoking intervention and the use of an inhaled anticholinergic bronchodilator on the rate of decline of FEV1.The Lung Health Study. JAMA. 1994; 272: 1497-1505
- Research electronic data capture (REDCap)--a metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support.J Biomed Inform. 2009; 42: 377-381
- Analysis of patient attrition in a publicly funded bariatric surgery program.J Am Coll Surg. 2014; 219: 1047-1055
- Clinical practice guidelines for the perioperative nutritional, metabolic, and nonsurgical support of the bariatric surgery patient--2013 update: cosponsored by American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, The Obesity Society, and American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2013; 21: S1-27
Thomsen T, Villebro N, Moller AM. Interventions for preoperative smoking cessation. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2014;(3):CD002294.
- Neuropsychiatric safety and efficacy of varenicline, bupropion, and nicotine patch in smokers with and without psychiatric disorders (EAGLES): a double-blind, randomised, placebo-controlled clinical trial.Lancet. 2016; 387: 2507-2520
This study was not funded by any source. JF, SV, and JY are primarily funded by the National Institute on Drug Abuse of the National Institutes of Health. The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the National Institutes of Health. JF has done paid consulting for pharmaceutical companies involved in producing smoking cessation medications, including GSK, Pfizer, Novartis, J&J, and Cypress Bioscience. AR, SV, and JY have no disclosures related to this publication.