- •The largest analysis to date of outcomes following single-stage conversions of gastric bands to either sleeve gastrectomy or gastric bypass.
- •Data have been obtained from the United Kingdom National Bariatric Surgery Registry, a prospectively-collated bespoke database.
- •Conversions from band to sleeve or bypass give comparable good early excess weight loss.
- •However conversion to sleeve is associated with a better peri-operative safety profile.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases
- Long-term results after laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding for morbid obesity: 18-year follow-up in a single university unit.Obes Surg. 2017; 27: 630-640
- Surgery for weight loss in adults.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014; CD003641
Estimate of Bariatric Surgery Numbers, 2011-2017 [homepage on the Internet]. Gainesville: American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery; c2018 [updated 2018 Jun; cited 2018 Jan 15]. Available from: https://asmbs.org/resources/estimate-of-bariatric-surgery-numbers.
- Concomitant removal of gastric band and gastric bypass: analysis of outcomes and complications from the ACS-NSQIP database.Obes Surg. 2017; 27: 462-468
- Concomitant removal of gastric band and sleeve gastrectomy: analysis of outcomes and complications from the ACS-NSQIP database.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2016; 12: 984-988
- Sleeve gastrectomy for gastric band failures - a prospective study.Int J Surg. 2013; 11: 407-409
- A one-step conversion from gastric banding to laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass is as safe as a two-step conversion: a comparative analysis of 885 patients.Acta Chir Belg. 2016; 116: 271-277
- Revisions after failed gastric band: sleeve gastrectomy and Roux-en-Y gastric bypass.Surg Endosc. 2015; 29: 2533-2537
- Conversion of failed laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding: sleeve gastrectomy or Roux-en-Y gastric bypass?.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2013; 9: 901-907
- A retrospective comparison of early results of conversion of failed gastric banding to sleeve gastrectomy or gastric bypass.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2015; 11: 379-384
- Systematic review and meta-analysis of outcomes after revisional bariatric surgery following a failed adjustable gastric band.Obes Surg. 2017; 27: 2522-2536
- American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery estimation of metabolic and bariatric procedures performed in the United States in 2016.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2018; 14: 259-263
Welbourn R, Small P, Finlay I, Sareela A, Somers S, Mahawar K; for the NBSR data committee. The United Kingdom National Bariatric Surgery Registry Second Registry Report 2014 [monograph on the Internet]. London: The United Kingdom National Bariatric Surgery Registry [cited 2018 Jan 15]. Available from: http://www.bomss.org.uk/nbsr/
- Roux-en-Y gastric bypass versus sleeve gastrectomy as revisional procedures after adjustable gastric band: 5-year outcomes.Obes Surg. 2017; 27: 1430-1437
- Single-stage revision from gastric band to gastric bypass or sleeve gastrectomy: 6- and 12-month outcomes.Surg Endosc. 2016; 30: 2244-2250
- Assessment of perioperative complications following primary bariatric surgery according to the Clavien-Dindo classification: comparison of sleeve gastrectomy and Roux-Y gastric bypass.Surg Endosc. 2016; 30: 273-278
- Safety of revision sleeve gastrectomy compared to Roux-Y gastric bypass after failed gastric banding: analysis of the MBSAQIP.Ann Surg. Epub. 2017 Oct 31;
- Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass patients have an increased lifetime risk of repeat operations when compared to laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy patients.Surg Endosc. 2016; 30: 1833-1838
- The mesenteric defects in laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: 5 years follow-up of non-closure versus closure using the stapler technique.Surg Endosc. 2017; 31: 3743-3748
- Outcomes after laparoscopic conversion of failed adjustable gastric banding to sleeve gastrectomy or Roux-en-Y gastric bypass.Br J Surg. 2014; 101: 254-260