- •Forty-seven patients had revisional surgery from primary gastric bypass to distal gastric bypass (D-RYGB) with an alimentary limb of 250-300 cm and common channel of 100 cm.
- •Total weight loss (TWL) increased significantly from 12% to 30% after D-RYGB and in 62% of patients %TWL>25% was achieved.
- •Nutritional deficiencies were present in 89% of patients after D-RYGB despite the prescription of specialized multivitamins.
- •Five patients (11%) needed subsequent lengthening of the common channel to 250 cm due to protein malnutrition or a debilitating defecation pattern.
- •The results of our study imply that a longer common channel (>200 cm) might be a better option.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases
- Metabolic/bariatric surgery worldwide 2011.Obes Surg. 2013; 23: 427-436
- The effectiveness and risks of bariatric surgery: an updated systematic review and meta-analysis, 2003-2012.JAMA Surg. 2014; 149: 275-287
- Long-term effects of laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass on metabolic syndrome in patients with morbid obesity.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2016; 12: 1449-1456
- Bariatric surgery worldwide 2013.Obes Surg. 2015; 25: 1822-1832
- Revision of Roux-en-Y gastric bypass to distal bypass for failed weight loss.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2011; 7: 45-49
- Revisional bariatric surgery.Obes Surg. 2009; 19: 827-832
- Revision of Roux-en-Y gastric bypass for weight regain: a systematic review of techniques and outcomes.Obes Surg. 2016; 26: 1627-1634
- Revision of Roux-en-Y gastric bypass with limb distalization for inadequate weight loss or weight regain.Obes Surg. 2019; 29: 811-818
- Conversion of standard Roux-en-Y gastric bypass to distal bypass for weight loss failure and metabolic syndrome: 3-year follow-up and evolution of technique to reduce nutritional complications.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2018; 14: 554-561
- Conversion of proximal to distal gastric bypass for failed gastric bypass for superobesity.J Gastrointest Surg. 1997; 1: 517-525
- Revision to malabsorptive Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (MRNYGBP) provides long-term (10 years) durable weight loss in patients with failed anatomically intact gastric restrictive operations.Obes Surg. 2011; 21: 825-831
- Medical follow up after bariatric surgery: nutritional and drug issues. General recommendations for the prevention and treatment of nutritional deficiencies. 21.Diabetes Metab. 2009; 35: 544-557
- Biliopancreatic diversion with Roux-en-Y gastric bypass and long limbs: advances in surgical treatment for super-obesity.Obes Surg. 2011; 21: 1849-1858
- Interdisciplinary European guidelines on metabolic and bariatric surgery.Obes Surg. 2014; 24: 42-55
- Sensitivity and specificity of 50% excess weight loss (50% EWL) and twelve other bariatric criteria for weight loss success.Obes Surg. 2018; 28: 2297-2304
- Treatment of severe protein malnutrition after bariatric surgery.Obes Surg. 2019; 29: 3095-3102
- Loose and frequent stools and PTH levels are positively correlated post–gastric bypass surgery due to less efficient intestinal calcium absorption.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2016; 12: 1548-1553
- The BODY-Q: a patient-reported outcome instrument for weight loss and body contouring treatments.Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2016; 4: e679
- Resolution of hyperlipidemia after laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass.J Am Coll Surg. 2006; 203: 24-29
- Effect of bariatric surgery on cardiovascular risk profile.Am J Cardiol. 2011; 108: 1499-1507
- Why I prefer gastric bypass distal Roux-en-Y gastroileostomy.Obes Surg. 1991; 1: 189-194
- The gastric bypass for failed bariatric surgical procedures.Obes Surg. 1996; 6: 145-150
- Revision of failed gastric bypass to distal Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: a review of 65 cases.Obes Surg. 2001; 11: 190-195
- Laparoscopic conversion of Roux-en-Y gastric bypass to distal gastric bypass for weight regain.J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A. 2001; 21: 19-23
- Adding malabsorption for weight loss failure after gastric bypass.Surg Endosc. 2007; 21: 1924-1926
- Treatment of vitamin and mineral deficiencies after biliopancreatic diversion with or without duodenal switch: a major challenge.Obes Surg. 2018; 28: 234-241
- Accuracy and inter-operator variability of small bowel length measurement at laparoscopy.Surg Endosc. 2017; 31: 4697-4704
Y.G.R. van der Burgh, M.D., M.Sc. and A.B. Boerboom, M.D. contributed equally to this work.