- -Data on long-term outcomes after Roux-en-Y gastric diversion (RNYG) for failed fundoplication are lacking.
- -Although the majority achieved initial gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) symptom resolution, 39.7% of those experienced GERD recurrence during a median follow-up of 56.2 months.
- -In this cohort, 46.7% had either new-onset or persistent dysphagia after RNYG.
- -RNYG is an effective alternative surgery. However, patients should be informed of the risks of postoperative GERD symptoms and dysphagia.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases
- Update on the epidemiology of gastro-oesophageal reflux disease: a systematic review.Gut. 2014; 63: 871-880
- Systematic review: persistent reflux symptoms on proton pump inhibitor therapy in primary care and community studies.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2010; 32: 720-737
- Short-term cost effectiveness and long-term cost analysis comparing laparoscopic Nissen fundoplication with proton-pump inhibitor maintenance for gastro-oesophageal reflux disease.Br J Surg. 2005; 92: 700-706
- Seven-year follow-up of a randomized clinical trial comparing proton-pump inhibition with surgical therapy for reflux oesophagitis.Br J Surg. 2007; 94: 198-203
- Randomized clinical trial of laparoscopic Nissen fundoplication compared with proton-pump inhibitors for treatment of chronic gastro-oesophageal reflux.Br J Surg. 2005; 92: 695-699
- Laparoscopic Nissen fundoplication: five-year results and beyond.Arch Surg. 2001; 136: 180-184
- Association between laparoscopic antireflux surgery and recurrence of gastroesophageal reflux.JAMA. 2017; 318: 939-946
- Patterns of reoperation after failed fundoplication: an analysis of 9462 patients.Surg Endosc. 2018; 32: 345-350
- Surgical reintervention after failed antireflux surgery: a systematic review of the literature.J Gastrointest Surg. 2009; 13: 1539-1549
- When fundoplication fails: redo?.Ann Surg. 2005; 241 (discussion 9–71): 861-869
- Redo surgery after failure of antireflux surgery.Am Surg. 2018; 84: 1819-1824
- Roux-en-Y reconstruction is superior to redo fundoplication in a subset of patients with failed antireflux surgery.Surg Endosc. 2013; 27: 927-935
- Long-term outcomes of reintervention for failed fundoplication: redo fundoplication versus Roux-en-Y reconstruction.Surg Endosc. 2014; 28: 42-48
- Roux-En-Y gastric bypass following failed fundoplication.Surg Endosc. 2018; 32: 3517-3524
- Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: an effective antireflux procedure in the less than morbidly obese.Obes Surg. 1998; 8: 35-38
- Minimally invasive Roux-en-Y gastric bypass for fundoplication failure offers excellent gastroesophageal reflux control.Am Surg. 2014; 80: 696-703
- Roux-en-Y gastric bypass as a salvage procedure in complicated patients with failed fundoplication(s).Surg Endosc. 2019; 33: 738-744
- Roux-en-Y near esophagojejunostomy for failed antireflux operations: outcomes in more than 100 patients.Ann Thorac Surg. 2014; 98 (discussion 11–3): 1905-1911
- Minimally invasive Roux-en-Y reconstruction as a salvage operation after failed nissen fundoplication.Surg Endosc. 2020; 34: 2211-2218
Leslie DB, Rasmus NF, Slusarek BM, Sampson BK, Buchwald H, Ikramuddin S. Conversion of fundoplication to Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: long-term results. Presented at SSAT 54th Annual Meeting 2013 May 17-21; Orlando, FL.
McKenna DT, Burchett M, Mwanza D, et al. Long-term outcomes of conversion of failed Nissen fundoplication to Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. Paper presented at: SAGES Annual Meeting 2013 Apr 17–30; Baltimore, MD.
- Classification of surgical complications: a new proposal with evaluation in a cohort of 6336 patients and results of a survey.Ann Surg. 2004; 240: 205-213
- The Chicago Classification of esophageal motility disorders, v3.0.Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2015; 27: 160-174
- The PRISMA statement for reporting systematic reviews and meta-analyses of studies that evaluate health care interventions: explanation and elaboration.J Clin Epidemiol. 2009; 62: e1-e34
- A comprehensive review of laparoscopic redo fundoplication.Surg Endosc. 2011; 25: 706-712
- Long-term outcomes of patients receiving a magnetic sphincter augmentation device for gastroesophageal reflux.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2016; 14: 671-677
- NERD, GERD, and Barrett’s esophagus: role of acid and non-acid reflux revisited with combined pH-impedance monitoring.Dig Dis Sci. 2008; 53: 3076-3081
- Pathophysiology and treatment of Barrett's esophagus.World J Gastroenterol. 2010; 16: 3762-3772
- Pathophysiology of gastroesophageal reflux disease.Gastroenterology. 2018; 154: 277-288
- Esophageal pathophysiologic changes and adenocarcinoma after bariatric surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Clin Transl Gastroenterol. 2020; 11 (e00225)
- Gastric bypass surgery in the treatment of gastro-oesophageal reflux symptoms.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2019; 50: 159-166