Preoperative preparation of patients for bariatric surgery is generally based more on opinion than evidence. Little is known of the value of different weight management or educational programs that patients (voluntary or by demand) attend before the operation.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Gastrointestinal surgery for severe obesity: Consensus Development Conference statement.Ann Intern Med. 1991; 115: 956-961
- Preoperative predictors of weight loss following bariatric surgery: systematic review.Obes Surg. 2012; 22: 70-89
- Postoperative outcomes in bariatric surgical patients participating in an insurance-mandated preoperative weight management program.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2018; 14: 623-630
- Insurance-mandated medical 380 weight management programs in sleeve gastrectomy patients do not improve postoperative weight loss outcomes at 1 year.Obes Surg. 2020; 30: 3333-3340
- Open letter to insurance companies regarding mandatory in-ofﬁce visit weight documentation in an era of COVID-19.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2020; 16: 1165-1166
- Preoperative lifestyle intervention in bariatric surgery: a randomized clinical trial.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2016; 12: 180-187
- Weight loss after bariatric surgery: a comparison between delayed and immediate qualification according to the last resort criterion.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2021; 17: 718-726
- Insurance-mandated preoperative dietary counseling does not improve outcome and increases dropout rates in patients considering gastric bypass surgery for morbid obesity.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2006; 2: 122-127
- Weight loss before bariatric surgery and postoperative complications. Data from the Scandinavian Obesity Registry (SOReg).Ann Surg. 2015; 261: 909-913
Published online: December 28, 2020
© 2021 Published by Elsevier Inc. on behalf of American Society for Bariatric Surgery.
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
- Weight loss after bariatric surgery: a comparison between delayed and immediate qualification according to the last resort criterionSurgery for Obesity and Related DiseasesVol. 17Issue 4