- •Bariatric surgery lowers A1c in real-world clinical care.
- •Improvements are sustained for at least 6 years.
- •Benefits were greatest for younger people and those with shorter diabetes duration.
- •Therefore, efficacy results from RCTs are generalizable to routine clinical practice.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases
- Trends in adult body-mass index in 200 countries from 1975 to 2014: a pooled analysis of 1698 population-based measurement studies with 19.2 million participants.Lancet. 2016; 387: 1377-1396
- Health and economic burden of the projected obesity trends in the USA and the UK.Lancet. 2011; 378: 815-825
- The incidence of co-morbidities related to obesity and overweight: a systematic review and meta-analysis.BMC Public Health. 2009; 9: 88
- BMI and mortality in patients with new-onset type 2 diabetes: a comparison with age- and sex-matched control subjects from the general population.Diabetes Care. 2018; 41: 485-493
- Weight loss medications in Canada - a new frontier or a repeat of past mistakes?.Diabetes Metab Syndr Obes. 2017; 10: 413-417
- Insulin-associated weight gain in obese type 2 diabetes mellitus patients: what can be done?.Diabetes Obes Metab. 2017; 10: 1655-1668
- Pathophysiology and treatment of type 2 diabetes: perspectives on the past, present, and future.Lancet. 2014; 383: 1068-1083
- Bariatric surgery versus conventional medical therapy for type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2012; 366: 1577-1585
- Roux-en-Y gastric bypass vs intensive medical management for the control of type 2 diabetes, hypertension, and hyperlipidemia: the Diabetes Surgery Study randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2013; 309: 2240-2249
- Effect of laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery on type 2 diabetes mellitus with hypertension: a randomized controlled trial.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2013; 101: 50-56
- Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery or lifestyle with intensive medical management in patients with type 2 diabetes: feasibility and 1-year results of a randomized clinical trial.JAMA Surgery. 2014; 149: 716-726
- Three-year outcomes of bariatric surgery vs lifestyle intervention for type 2 diabetes mellitus treatment: a randomized clinical trial.JAMA Surgery. 2015; 150: 931-940
- Bariatric surgery versus intensive medical therapy for diabetes — 5-year outcomes.N Engl J Med. 2017; 376: 641-651
- Comparison of surgical and medical therapy for type 2 diabetes in severely obese adolescents.JAMA Pediatrics. 2018; 172: 452-460
- Identifying diabetes cases from administrative data: a population-based validation study.BMC Health Services Research. 2018; 18: 316
- Measuring "rurality" for purposes of health-care planning: an empirical measure for Ontario.Ont Med Rev. 2000; 67: 33-52
- Using the standardized difference to compare the prevalence of a binary variable between two groups in observational research.Communications in Statistics - Simulation and Computation. 2009; 38: 1228-1234
- Intensive blood-glucose control with sulphonylureas or insulin compared with conventional treatment and risk of complications in patients with type 2 diabetes (UKPDS 33).Lancet. 1998; 352: 837-853
- Weight and metabolic outcomes 12 years after gastric bypass.N Engl J Med. 2017; 377: 1143-1155
- Association of bariatric surgery with long-term remission of type 2 diabetes and with microvascular and macrovascular complications.JAMA. 2014; 311: 2297-2304
- Bariatric surgery is associated with a reduction in major macrovascular and microvascular complications in moderately to severely obese patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus.J Am Coll Surg. 2013; 216: 545-556
- Roux-en-Y gastric bypass vs sleeve gastrectomy for remission of type 2 diabetes.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2021; 106: 922-933
- Comparing the 5-year diabetes outcomes of sleeve gastrectomy and gastric bypass: the National Patient-Centered Clinical Research Network (PCORNet) bariatric study.JAMA Surgery. 2020; 155e200087
- The impact of bariatric surgery on insulin-treated type 2 diabetes patients.Surg Endosc. 2018; 32: 990-1001
- Comparative efficacy and safety of antidiabetic drug regimens added to metformin monotherapy in patients with type 2 diabetes: a network meta-analysis.PLoS One. 2015; 10e0125879
- Triple therapy combinations for the treatment of type 2 diabetes: a network meta-analysis.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2016; 116: 149-158