- •This study includes 1,296 patients across many institutions in the US with class I obesity.
- •Patients lost up to 20% of their initial BMI.
- •At around two years after the surgery, the likelihood of being in remission from type 2 diabetes reached 45%.
- •Remission probabilities for hypertension are 60% for RYGB and 50% for SG, three years after the surgery; hyperlipidemia are close to 50% and 25% for RYGB and SG at two years.
- •There was no difference between the BMI trajectories and remission from T2D when comparing the two groups.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases
- Trends in obesityamong adults in the United States, 2005 to 2014.JAMA. 2016; 315: 2284-2291
- The effect of body mass index on perioperative outcomes after major surgery: results from the National Surgical Quality Improvement Program (ACS-NSQIP) 2005–2011.World J Surg. 2015; 39: 2376-2385
- Length of hospital stays among obese individuals.Am J Public Health. 2004; 94: 1587-1591
- Economic burden of obesity: a systematic literature review.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017; 14: 435
- Surgery for weight loss in adults.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014; 8: CD003641
- Weight loss and health status 3 years after bariatric surgery in adolescents.N Engl J Med. 2016; 374: 113-123
- Seven-year weight trajectories and health outcomes in the Longitudinal Assessment of Bariatric Surgery (LABS) study.JAMA Surg. 2018; 153: 427-434
- Insurance coverage criteria for bariatric surgery: a survey of policies.Obes Surg. 2020; 30: 707-713
- Summary: consensus conference on surgery for severe obesity.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2005; 1: 369-370
- Measuring frailty in medicare data: development and validation of a claims-based frailty index.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2018; 73: 980-987
- American Diabetes Association [homepage on the Internet]. Arlington, VA: The Association; c1995–2022 [cited 2021 May 2]. Understanding A1C: diagnosis; [about 7 screens].(Available from:)
- Prevention, detection, evaluation, and management of high blood pressure in adults: synopsis of the 2017 American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Hypertension guideline.Ann Int Med. 2018; 168: 351-358
- Standardized outcomes reporting in metabolic and bariatric surgery.Obes Surg. 2015; 25: 587-606
- The incidence of co-morbidities related to obesity and overweight: a systematic review and meta-analysis.BMC Public Health. 2009; 9: 88
- ASMBS updated position statement on bariatric surgery in class I obesity (BMI 30–35 kg/m2).Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2018; 14: 1071-1087
- A nationwide safety analysis of bariatric surgery in nonseverely obese patients with type 2 diabetes.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2016; 12: 1163-1170
- A current profile and assessment of north american cholecystectomy: results from the american college of surgeons national surgical quality improvement program.J Am Coll Surg. 2010; 211: 176-186
- Bariatric/metabolic surgery to treat type 2 diabetes in patients with a BMI <35 kg/m2.Diabetes Care. 2016; 39: 924-933
- Roux-en-Y gastric bypass in type 2 diabetes patients with mild obesity: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Obes Surg. 2017; 27: 2733-2739
- Role of bariatric surgery as treatment for type 2 diabetes in patients who do not meet current NIH criteria: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Am Coll Surg. 2013; 217: 527-532
- Bariatric surgery in 1119 patients with preoperative body mass index <35 (kg/m(2)): results at 1 year.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2015; 11: 1127-1132
- A prospective single-arm trial of modified long biliopancreatic and short alimentary limbs Roux-En-Y gastric bypass in type 2 diabetes patients with mild obesity.Obes Surg. 2018; 28: 599-605
- Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy versus singe anastomosis (mini-) gastric bypass for the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus: 5 year results of a randomized trial and study of incretin effects.Obes Surg. 2014; 24: 1552-1562
- Effects of bariatric surgery vs medical treatment on type 2 diabetes in patients with body mass index lower than 35: five-year outcomes.JAMA Surg. 2015; 150: 1117-1124
- Seven years of mini-gastric bypass in type II diabetes patients with a body mass index <35 kg/m2.Obes Surg. 2016; 26: 1457-1462
The study was funded by OptumLabs, the research and development arm of UnitedHealth Group.