- •Bariatric surgery in patients with obesity decreases the rate of hospitalizations due to acute exacerbation in patients with associated obstructive lung disease.
- •Bariatric surgery results in a decreased length of stay in patients with obesity and concomitant obstructive lung disease.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases
- Prevalence and attributable health burden of chronic respiratory diseases, 1990–2017: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2017.Lancet Respir Med. 2020; 8: 585-596
- Obstructive lung diseases: COPD, asthma, and many imitators.Mayo Clin Proc. 2001; 76: 1144-1153
- Ectopic fat accumulation in patients with COPD: an ECLIPSE substudy.Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis. 2017; 12: 451-460
- Obesity and respiratory diseases.Int J Gen Med. 2010; 3: 335-343
- High body mass index and risk of exacerbations and pneumonias in individuals with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: observational and genetic risk estimates from the Copenhagen General Population Study.Int J Epidemiol. 2016; 45: 1551-1559
- Respiratory medication prescriptions before and after bariatric surgery.Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2010; 104: 326-330
- Candidates for bariatric surgery: morbidly obese patients with pulmonary dysfunction.J Obes. 2012; 2012: 878371
- The effects of obesity on the human body part II: nervous, respiratory, and lymphatic systems.Clin Anat. 2021; 34: 303-306
- Effect of bariatric surgery on long-term cardiovascular outcomes: a nationwide nested cohort study.Eur Heart J. 2020; 41: 2660-2667
- Association between bariatric surgery and macrovascular disease outcomes in patients with type 2 diabetes and severe obesity.JAMA. 2018; 320: 1570-1582
- Association of metabolic surgery with major adverse cardiovascular outcomes in patients with type 2 diabetes and obesity.JAMA. 2019; 322: 1271-1282
- Bariatric surgery versus intensive medical therapy for diabetes - 5-year outcomes.N Engl J Med. 2017; 376: 641-651
- Effects of bariatric surgery in obese patients with hypertension the GATEWAY randomized trial (gastric bypass to treat obese patients with steady hypertension).Circulation. 2018; 137: 1132-1142
- Improvement of associated respiratory problems in morbidly obese patients after open Roux-en-Y gastric bypass.Obes Surg. 2007; 17: 1102-1110
- Reduced risk of acute exacerbation of COPD after bariatric surgery: a self-controlled case series study.Chest. 2018; 153: 611-617
- Bariatric surgery decreases the number of first-time hospital admissions for cancer in severely obese patients. A retrospective analysis of the National Inpatient Sample Database.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2020; 16: 1648-1654
- Prevalence of chronic kidney disease and end-stage renal disease in a bariatric versus nonbariatric population: a retrospective analysis of the U.S. National Inpatient Sample Database.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2022; 18: 281-287
- Bariatric surgery decreases the number of future hospital admissions for diastolic heart failure in subjects with severe obesity: a retrospective analysis of the US National Inpatient Sample Database.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2022; 18: 1-8
- Impact of bariatric surgery on the risk of hospitalization due to influenza virus infection.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2021; 17: 1977-1983
- Bariatric surgery is associated with reduced admission for aortic dissection: a nationwide case-control analysis.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2021; 17: 1603-1610
- Potential beneficial effects of bariatric surgery on the prevalence of kidney cancer: a national database study.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2022; 18: 102-106
- The effects of obesity on the human body, part I: skin and musculoskeletal.Clin Anat. 2021; 34: 297-302
- The effects of obesity on the human body part III: cardiovascular, digestive, excretory, endocrine, and reproductive.Clin Anat. 2021; 34: 307-311
- Bariatric surgery to prevent COPD exacerbations?.Chest. 2018; 153: 586-587
- Bariatric surgery and the risk of acute exacerbation of COPD: possible role of OSA?.Chest. 2018; 154: 456-457
- Should we treat obesity in COPD? The effects of diet and resistance exercise training.Respirology. 2016; 21: 875-882
- Obesity increases the duration of influenza a virus shedding in adults.J Infect Dis. 2018; 218: 1378-1382
- Association of bariatric surgery with risk of infectious diseases: a self-controlled case series analysis.Clin Infect Dis. 2017; 65: 1349-1355
- Decreased long-term respiratory infection risk after bariatric surgery: a comprehensive national cohort study.Obes Surg. 2021; 31: 499-507
- Effects of bariatric surgery on influenza-like illness: a two-center cross-sectional study.Obes Surg. 2021; 31: 3341-3346
- Association of prior metabolic and bariatric surgery with severity of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in patients with obesity.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2021; 17: 208-214
- The impact of previous history of bariatric surgery on outcome of COVID-19. A nationwide Medico-Administrative French Study.Obes Surg. 2021; 31: 1455-1463
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and diabetes mellitus: a systematic review of the literature.Respiration. 2015; 89: 253-264
Statement: The manuscript was read and approved by all authors.