- •The present meta-analysis is the first quantitative summary of the effect of metabolic and bariatric surgery on secondary hyperparathyroidism risk and includes a large sample size of patients.
- •In addition to comparing the impact of metabolic and bariatric surgery on secondary hyperparathyroidism, this meta-analysis compared the impact of follow-up time and surgical procedure on secondary hyperparathyroidism.
- •However, owing to the retrospective nature and low quality of this study, the direction of the causality is hard to determine.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases
- [Overweight and obesity: review and update].Acta Gastroenterol Latinoam. 2016; 46: 131-159
- Association between bariatric surgery and Macrovascular disease outcomes in patients with type 2 diabetes and Severe obesity.JAMA. 2018; 320: 1570-1582
- Weight and metabolic outcomes 12 Years after gastric bypass.N Engl J Med. 2018; 378: 95
- Bariatric surgery versus Intensive medical therapy for diabetes - 5-year outcomes.N Engl J Med. 2017; 376: 641-651
- Fracture risk after bariatric surgery: a 12-year Nationwide cohort study.Medicine (Baltimore). 2015; 94: e2087
- Relationship between bariatric surgery and bone Mineral density: a meta-analysis.Obes Surg. 2016; 26: 1414-1421
- Determining changes in bone metabolism after bariatric surgery in postmenopausal women.Surg Endosc. 2020; 34: 1754-1760
- The risk of kidney stones following bariatric surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Ren Fail. 2016; 38: 424-430
- Kidney stones after bariatric surgery: risk assessment and Mitigation.Bariatr Surg Pract Patient Care. 2017; 12: 3-9
- Fractures in adults after weight loss from bariatric surgery and weight management programs for obesity: systematic review and meta-analysis.Obes Surg. 2019; 29: 1327-1342
- Mortality risk for dialysis patients with different levels of serum calcium, phosphorus, and PTH: the Dialysis Outcomes and Practice Patterns Study (DOPPS).Am J Kidney Dis. 2008; 52: 519-530
- Comparison of the pharmacological effects of Paricalcitol versus calcitriol on secondary hyperparathyroidism in the dialysis Population.Ther Apher Dial. 2016; 20: 261-266
- Managing hyperparathyroidism in hemodialysis: role of etelcalcetide.Int J Nephrol Renovasc Dis. 2018; 11: 69-80
- The PRISMA statement for reporting systematic reviews and meta-analyses of studies that evaluate healthcare interventions: explanation and elaboration.BMJ. 2009; 339: b2700
- Critical evaluation of the Newcastle-Ottawa scale for the assessment of the quality of nonrandomized studies in meta-analyses.Eur J Epidemiol. 2010; 25: 603-605
- Secondary hyperparathyroidism among bariatric patients: unraveling the prevalence of an overlooked Foe.Obes Surg. 2021; 31: 3768-3775
- High incidence of secondary hyperparathyroidism in bariatric patients: comparing different procedures.Obes Surg. 2018; 28: 798-804
- Risk factors for secondary hyperparathyroidism after bariatric surgery: a comparison of 4 different operations and of vitamin D-receptor-polymorphism.Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes. 2012; 120: 629-634
- Rates of secondary hyperparathyroidism after bypass operation for super-morbid obesity: an overlooked phenomenon.Surgery. 2017; 161: 720-726
- Effects of omega-loop gastric bypass on vitamin D and bone metabolism in morbidly obese bariatric patients.Obes Surg. 2015; 25: 1056-1062
- Serum parathyroid hormone and 25-Hydroxyvitamin D Concentrations before and after biliopancreatic diversion.Obes Surg. 2018; 28: 1886-1894
- Determinants of secondary hyperparathyroidism in bariatric patients after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass or sleeve gastrectomy: a Pilot study.Int J Endocrinol. 2015; 2015: 984935
- Relationships between vitamin D status and PTH over 5 Years after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: a Longitudinal cohort study.Obes Surg. 2020; 30: 3426-3434
- Secondary hyperparathyroidism, vitamin D sufficiency, and serum calcium 5 years after gastric bypass and duodenal switch.Obes Surg. 2013; 23: 384-390
- Review article: the nutritional and pharmacological consequences of obesity surgery.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2014; 40: 582-609
- Obesity and vitamin D deficiency: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Obes Rev. 2015; 16: 341-349
- The role of the gastrointestinal tract in calcium homeostasis and bone remodeling.Osteoporos Int. 2013; 24: 2737-2748
- Vitamin D and calcium status and appropriate recommendations in bariatric surgery patients.Gastroenterol Nurs. 2011; 34: 367-374