- •Prior to BMS, an increased BMI and ASA were risk factors for unemployment.
- •The unemployment rate dropped significantly after 24 months but increased to the baseline rate after 60 months, independent of BMI reduction.
- •BMI and weight reduction were no longer predictive factors for unemployment after 24 and 60 months.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases
Prevalence of obesity among adults. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2022 [cited 2022 Nov 14]. Available from: https://www.who.int/data/gho/data/indicators/indicator-details/GHO/prevalence-of-obesity-among-adults-bmi-=-30-(crude-estimate)-(-).
Dobbs R, Sawers C, Thompson F. 2014. Overcoming obesity: an initial economic analysis. McKinsey Global Institute.
- Surgery for weight loss in adults.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014; 2014: CD003641
- Quality of life after bariatric surgery--a comparative study of laparoscopic banding vs. bypass.Obes Surg. 2008; 18: 1551-1557
- Economic burden of obesity: a systematic literature review.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017; 14: 435
- BMI and labor market participation: a cohort study of transitions between work, unemployment, and sickness absence.Obesity. 2019; 27: 1703-1710
- A cost-benefit simulation model of coverage for bariatric surgery among full-time employees.Am J Manag Care. 2005; 11: 641-646
- The benefits of bariatric surgery in obese patients with hip and knee osteoarthritis: a systematic review.Obes Rev. 2011; 12: 1083-1089
- Obstructive sleep apnea: the effect of bariatric surgery after 12 months. A prospective multicenter trial.Sleep Med. 2017; 35: 85-90
- Bariatric surgery improves the employment rate in people with obesity: 2-year analysis.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2018; 14: 1700-1704
- Employment and professional outcomes in 803 patients undergoing bariatric surgery in a French reference center for obesity.Int J Occup Environ Med. 2015; 6: 95-103
- Return to work after gastric bypass in medicaid-funded morbidly obese patients.Arch Surg. 2007; 142: 935
- Effect of bariatric surgery on employment status—a 7 years controlled nationwide registry study.BMJ Open. 2021; 11: e042845
- Strengthening the reporting of observational studies in epidemiology (STROBE): explanation and elaboration.Int J Surg. 2014; 12: 1500-1524
Swiss society for the study of morbid obesity and metabolic disorders (SMOB). Schweiz. Arzteztg 2014;95. [cited 2022 Nov 14]. Available from: https://www.smob.ch/de/
- The validation of the Moorehead-Ardelt quality of life Questionnaire II.Obes Surg. 2003; 13: 684-692
- Relationship between bariatric surgery and Gastroesophageal Reflux disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Obes Surg. 2019; 29: 4105-4113
- Complete resolution of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease after bariatric surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2019; 17: 1040-1060.e11
- Bariatric surgery is a cost-saving treatment for obesity-A comprehensive meta-analysis and updated systematic review of health economic evaluations of bariatric surgery.Obes Rev. 2020; 21: e12932
- The Socio-economic impact of bariatric surgery.Obes Surg. 2018; 28: 338-348
- Unemployment, underweight, and obesity: Findings from Understanding society (UKHLS).Prev Med. 2017; 97: 19-25
- An instrumental variables approach to measuring the effect of body weight on employment disability.Health Serv Res. 2000; 35: 1159-1179
- The role of obesity and lifestyle behaviours in a productive workforce.Occup Environ Med. 2011; 68: 134-139
- The impact of ill health on exit from paid employment in Europe among older workers.Occup Environ Med. 2010; 67: 845-852
- The impact of bariatric surgery on quality of life: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Obes Rev. 2015; 16: 639-651
- Health-related quality of life after bariatric surgery: a systematic review of prospective long-term studies.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2015; 11: 466-473
- Sex, Race, and the quality of life factors most Important to patients’ well-being among those seeking bariatric surgery.Obes Surg. 2016; 26: 1308-1316
- Public perception of bariatric surgery.Saudi Med J. 2019; 40: 379-384
- Employment is associated with the health-related quality of life of morbidly obese persons.Obes Surg. 2011; 21: 1704-1709
- Weight loss, quality of life and employment status after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: 5-year analysis.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2005; 1 (discussion 417): 413-416
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
No external funding sources were utilized to complete this study.