- 1.This national-level analysis examined 14.6-million pregnancies from 2016-2019
- 2.Number of pregnancies after bariatric surgery increased from 0.3% to 0.5%
- 3.Bariatric surgery was associated with high-risk pregnancy characteristics
- 4.Bariatric surgery was not associated with non-transfusion sever maternal morbidity
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases
- Projected U.S. state-level prevalence of adult obesity and severe obesity.N Engl J Med. 2019; 381: 2440-2450
- Benefits and risks of bariatric surgery in adults: a review.JAMA. 2020; 324: 879-887
- Bariatric surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis.JAMA. 2004; 292: 1724-1737
- Bariatric surgery versus intensive medical therapy for diabetes - 5-year outcomes.N Engl J Med. 2017; 376: 641-651
- Pregnancy after bariatric surgery.Clin Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 59: 158-171
- Changes in utilization of bariatric surgery in the United States From 1993 to 2016.Ann Surg. 2020; 271: 201-209
- Risk factors and outcomes of maternal obesity and excessive weight gain during pregnancy.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2013; 21: 1046-1055
- Risk of adverse pregnancy outcomes by prepregnancy body mass index: a population-based study to inform prepregnancy weight loss counseling.Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 125: 133-143
- Risk of severe maternal morbidity after bariatric surgery: retrospective cohort study.Ann Surg. 2021; 274: e230-e235
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) [Internet]. Atlanta: The Centers; [updated 2019 Dec 26; cited 2022 Sep 11]. How does CDC indentify severe maternal morbidity? [about 17 screens]. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/maternalinfanthealth/smm/severe-morbidity-ICD.htm.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) [Internet]. Atlanta: The Centers; [updated 2021 Feb 2; cited 2022 Sep 11]. Severe maternal morbidity in the United States; [about 8 screens]. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/maternalinfanthealth/severematernalmorbidity.html.
- Perinatal outcomes after bariatric surgery.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2022; 226: 121.e1-121.e16
- Outcomes of pregnancy after bariatric surgery.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 2267
- Impact of bariatric surgery on fetal growth restriction: experience of a perinatal and bariatric surgery center.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 214 (655 e651–7)
- Obstetrical and neonatal outcomes in women following gastric bypass: a Danish national cohort study.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2014; 93: 447-453
- The risk of adverse pregnancy outcome after bariatric surgery: a nationwide register-based matched cohort study.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 208 (464 e461–5)
- Maternal and neonatal outcomes after bariatric surgery; a systematic review and meta-analysis: do the benefits outweigh the risks?.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 218: 573-580
- Pregnancy after bariatric surgery and adverse perinatal outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysis.PLoS Med. 2019; 16e1002866
- Cardiovascular sequelae of preeclampsia/eclampsia: a systematic review and meta-analyses.Am Heart J. 2008; 156: 918-930
- Progression to type 2 diabetes in women with a known history of gestational diabetes: systematic review and meta-analysis.BMJ. 2020; 369 (m1361)
- Pregnancy outcomes in women after bariatric surgery compared with obese and morbidly obese controls.Obstet Gynecol. 2012; 119: 547-554
- Bariatric surgery in a national cohort of women: sociodemographics and obstetric outcomes.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 205 (206 e201–8)
- Pregnancy outcomes in women with bariatric surgery as compared with morbidly obese women.J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2016; 29: 3596-3601
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) [Internet]. Rockville, MD: The Agency; [updated 2022 Sep 15; cited 2022 Sep 11]. Overview of the National (Nationwide) Inpatient Sample (NIS); [about 9 screens]. Available from: https://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/nisoverview.jsp.
- Permutation tests for joinpoint regression with applications to cancer rates.Stat Med. 2000; 19: 335-351
- Outcome modelling strategies in epidemiology: traditional methods and basic alternatives.Int J Epidemiol. 2016; 45: 565-575
- An introduction to propensity score methods for reducing the effects of confounding in observational studies.Multivariate Behav Res. 2011; 46: 399-424
- Statistical power of analysis for the behavioral sciences.2nd ed. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, New York1988
- Optimal caliper widths for propensity-score matching when estimating differences in means and differences in proportions in observational studies.Pharm Stat. 2011; 10: 150-161
- The evolution of minimally invasive bariatric surgery.World J Surg. 2011; 35: 1464-1468
American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) [Internet]. Newberry, FL: The Society; [updated 2022 Jun; cited 2022 Sep 11]. Estimate of Bariatric Surgery Numbers, 2011–2019; [about 2 screens]. Available from: https://asmbs.org/resources/estimate-of-bariatric-surgery-numbers.
- Changing trends in bariatric surgery.Scand J Surg. 2015; 104: 18-23
- Metabolic surgery in the treatment algorithm for type 2 diabetes: a joint statement by international diabetes organizations.Obes Surg. 2017; 27: 2-21
- Prediction and prevention of spontaneous preterm birth: ACOG Practice Bulletin, Number 234.Obstet Gynecol. 2021; 138: e65-e90
- Risk of pre-eclampsia after gastric bypass: a matched cohort study.BJOG. 2022; 129: 461-471
- Decreasing failure-to-rescue from severe maternal morbidity at cesarean delivery: recent US trends.JAMA Surg. 2021; 156: 585-587
- Delivery outcomes in term births after bariatric surgery: population-based matched cohort study.PLoS Med. 2018; 15e1002656
- Impact of bariatric surgery on inpatient complication, cost, and length of stay following total hip or knee arthroplasty.J Arthroplasty. 2019; 34: 2884-2889.e4
- Frequency and risk factors of blood transfusion in abdominoplasty in post-bariatric surgery patients: data from the nationwide inpatient sample.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2015; 135 (861e–8e)
- Circular abdominoplasty after massive weight loss: is it a risky procedure?.J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2016; 69: 1497-1505
- Predictors of vitamin adherence after bariatric surgery.Obes Surg. 2017; 27: 416-423
- Supplementation adherence and outcomes among pregnant women after bariatric surgery.Obes Surg. 2019; 29: 178-182
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Ariane C. Youssefzadeh and Koji Matsuo contributed equally to this work.
Abstract presentation: 42nd Annual Pregnancy Meeting, Orland, FL, January 31 to February 5, 2022.