- •15.3% of candidates were consuming alcohol at risky levels.
- •The majority with a positive PEth test denied recent alcohol use.
- •PEth testing may provide utility over self-reported alcohol use.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases
American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery. Estimate of bariatric surgery numbers, 2011–2019. https://asmbs.org/resources/estimate-of-bariatric-surgery-numbers. Accessed March 30, 2022.
- The effectiveness and risks of bariatric surgery: an updated systematic review and meta-analysis, 2003–2012.JAMA Surg. 2014; 149: 275-287
- Benefits and risks of bariatric surgery in adults: a review.JAMA. 2020; 324: 879-887
- Alcohol and other substance use after bariatric surgery: prospective evidence from a US multicenter cohort study.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2017; 13: 1392-1402
- Prevalence of alcohol use disorders before and after bariatric surgery.JAMA. 2012; 307: 2516-2525
- Patient recall of receiving education about the risks of alcohol use following bariatric surgery.Obes Surg. 2019; 29: 2707-2710
- Hazardous alcohol use in the four years following bariatric surgery.Psychol Health Med. 2022; 27: 1884-1890
- Sleeve gastrectomy surgery: when 2 alcoholic drinks are converted to 4.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2018; 14: 277-283
- Effect of Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery: converting 2 alcoholic drinks to 4.JAMA Surg. 2015; 150: 1096-1098
- Blood alcohol concentrations rise rapidly and dramatically following roux-en-Y gastric bypass.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2013; 9: 470-473
- Problematic alcohol use and associated characteristics following bariatric surgery.Obes Surg. 2018; 28: 1248-1254
- Alcohol sensitivity in women after undergoing bariatric surgery: a cross-sectional study.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2020; 16: 536-544
- Changes in alcohol use after metabolic and bariatric surgery: predictors and mechanisms.Curr Psychiatry Rep. 2019; 21: 85
- Gastric bypass and alcohol use: a literature review.Psychiatr Danub. 2020; 32: 176-179
- Predictors of alcohol use after bariatric surgery.J Clin Psychol Med Settings. 2021; 28: 596-602
- Recommendations for the presurgical psychosocial evaluation of bariatric surgery patients.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2016; 12: 731-749
- Assessing the drinking status of liver transplant patients with alcoholic liver disease.Liver Transplant. 2013; 19: 369-376
- Phosphatidylethanol compared with other blood tests as a biomarker of moderate alcohol consumption in healthy volunteers: a prospective randomized study.Alcohol Alcoholism. 2015; 50: 399-406
- Applications and challenges for the use of phosphatidylethanol testing in liver disease patients (mini review).Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2018; 42: 238-243
- The PEth blood test in the security environment: what it is; why it is important; and interpretative guidelines.J Forens Sci. 2018; 63: 1634-1640
- Alcohol biomarkers in clinical and forensic contexts.Dtsch Arztebl Int. 2018; 115: 309-315
- Phosphatidylethanol in blood (B-PEth): a marker for alcohol use and abuse.Drug Test Anal. 2011; 3: 195-200
- Prevalence of and risk factors associated with alcohol overconsumption at 2 years after bariatric surgery.Obes Surg. 2022; 32: 1-6
- Alcohol consumption in obese patients before and after gastric bypass as assessed with the alcohol marker phosphatidylethanol (PEth).Obes Surg. 2018; 28: 2354-2360
- AUDIT-C as a brief screen for alcohol misuse in primary care.Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2007; 31: 1208-1217
- Under-reporting of alcohol consumption in household surveys: a comparison of quantity–frequency, graduated–frequency and recent recall.Addiction. 2004; 99: 1024-1033
- Underestimation of alcohol consumption in cohort studies and implications for alcohol’s contribution to the global burden of disease.Addiction. 2018; 113: 2245-2249
- Consistency between self-reported alcohol consumption and biological markers among patients with alcohol use disorder–a systematic review.Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2021; 124: 370-385
- High rates of biomarker-confirmed alcohol use among pregnant women living with HIV in South Africa and Uganda.J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2019; 82: 443-451
- Alcohol and mortality: combining self-reported (AUDIT-C) and biomarker detected (PEth) alcohol measures among HIV infected and uninfected.J Acquire Immune Defic Syndr. 2018; 77: 135
- The AUDIT alcohol consumption questions (AUDIT-C): an effective brief screening test for problem drinking.Arch Intern Med. 1998; 158: 1789-1795
- Psychosocial factors and 2-year outcome following bariatric surgery for weight loss.Obes Surg. 2003; 13: 739-745