- 1.Subjects with obesity have an increased risk of developing an ischemic stroke after a transient ischemic attack.
- 2.In this study, bariatric surgery was shown to decrease the risk of ischemic stroke in patients with a prior transient ischemic attack.
- 3.A positive impact on hospital stay length and total charges of hospitalization was observed.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases
- Global, regional, and national burden of stroke, 1990–2016: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2016.Lancet Neurol. 2019; 18: 439-458https://doi.org/10.1016/S1474-4422(19)30034-1
Benjamin EJ, Muntner P, Alonso A, Bittencourt MS, Callaway CW, Carson AP, et al. Heart Disease and Stroke Statistics-2019 Update: A Report From the American Heart Association. vol. 139. 2019. https://doi.org/10.1161/CIR.0000000000000659.
- adults. 2018; 74: 695-703https://doi.org/10.1001/jamaneurol.2017.0020.Prevalence
Devito NJ, French L, Goldacre B. Trends in Obesity and Severe Obesity Prevalence in US Youth and Adults by Sex and Age , 2007-2008 to 2015-2016 Downloaded From : by a University Of North Carolina - Chapel Hill User on 08 / 21 / 2018. JAMA 2018;319:2016–8.
- Body size and fat distribution as predictors of stroke among US men.Am J Epidemiol. 1996; 144: 1143-1150https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a008892
- Relation between the metabolic syndrome and ischemic stroke or transient ischemic attack: A prospective cohort study in patients with atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease.Stroke. 2005; 36: 1366-1371https://doi.org/10.1161/01.STR.0000169945.75911.33
- Impact of metabolic disorders on the relation between overweight/obesity and incident myocardial infarction and ischaemic stroke in fertile women: a nationwide cohort study.Clin Obes. 2015; 5: 127-135https://doi.org/10.1111/cob.12096
- Lifestyle risk factors for ischemic stroke and transient ischemic attack in young adults in the stroke in young fabry patients study.Stroke. 2013; 44: 119-125https://doi.org/10.1161/STROKEAHA.112.665190
Coutts SB. Diagnosis and Management of Transient Ischemic Attack. n.d.
- Association of Body Mass Index and Risk of Stroke After Acute Minor Stroke or TIA: a Post Hoc Analysis of a Randomized Controlled Trial.Neurotox Res. 2019; https://doi.org/10.1007/s12640-019-00056-4
- Benefits of bariatric surgery in patients with acute ischemic stroke—a national population-based study.Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases. 2019; 15: 1934-1942https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soard.2019.08.020
- Bariatric surgery versus intensive medical therapy for diabetes - 5-year outcomes.New England Journal of Medicine. 2017; 376: 641-651https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1600869
- Effects of bariatric surgery in obese patients with hypertension the GATEWAY randomized trial (gastric bypass to treat obese patients with steady hypertension).Circulation. 2018; 137: 1132-1142https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.117.032130
- Changes in Lipid Profile of Obese Patients Following Contemporary Bariatric Surgery: A Meta-Analysis.American Journal of Medicine. 2016; 129: 952-959https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjmed.2016.02.004
- Bariatric Surgery and the Risk of New-Onset Atrial Fibrillation in Swedish Obese Subjects.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2016; 68: 2497-2504https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2016.09.940
- Stroke Risk Factors, Genetics, and Prevention.Circ Res. 2017; 120: 472-495https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCRESAHA.116.308398
- Comparison of Short and Long Term Cardiovascular Outcomes After Bariatric Surgery in Patients With vs Without Coronary Artery Disease.American Journal of Cardiology. 2020; 125: 40-47https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjcard.2019.09.041
- Risk of Heart Failure in Obese Patients With and Without Bariatric Surgery in Sweden—A Registry-Based Study.J Card Fail. 2017; 23: 530-537https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cardfail.2017.05.005
- Decreased Cardiovascular Risk after Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery in Chinese Diabetic Patients with Obesity.J Diabetes Res. 2017; 2017https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/5612049
- Association between Bariatric Surgery and Macrovascular Disease Outcomes in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes and Severe Obesity.JAMA - Journal of the American Medical Association. 2018; 320: 1570-1582https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2018.14619
- Outcomes in Patients with Obesity and Coronary Artery Disease with and Without Bariatric Surgery.Obes Surg. 2020; 30: 2085-2092https://doi.org/10.1007/s11695-020-04467-7
- Bariatric surgery is associated with a lower rate of death after myocardial infarction and stroke: A nationwide study.Diabetes Obes Metab. 2019; 21: 2058-2067https://doi.org/10.1111/dom.13765
- Effect of bariatric surgery on long-term cardiovascular outcomes: a nationwide nested cohort study.Eur Heart J. 2020; (–8): 1https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehaa069
- Overweight and obesity are associated with improved survival, functional outcome, and stroke recurrence after acute stroke or transient ischaemic attack: Observations from the tempis trial.Eur Heart J. 2013; 34: 268-277https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehs340
- Obesity and stroke: Can we translate from rodents to patients?.Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism. 2016; 36: 2007-2021https://doi.org/10.1177/0271678X16670411
- Contribution of Established Stroke Risk Factors to the Burden of Stroke in Young Adults.Stroke. 2017; 48: 1744-1751https://doi.org/10.1161/STROKEAHA.117.016599
- Metabolic mediators of the effects of body-mass index, overweight, and obesity on coronary heart disease and stroke: A pooled analysis of 97 prospective cohorts with 1·8 million participants.The Lancet. 2014; 383: 970-983https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(13)61836-X
- The ARTICO study: Identification of patients at high risk of vascular recurrence after a first non-cardioembolic stroke.BMC Neurol. 2015; 15: 1-7https://doi.org/10.1186/s12883-015-0278-4
- Relationship between body mass index and rehabilitation outcomes in chronic stroke.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2012; 91: 951-956https://doi.org/10.1097/PHM.0b013e31826458c6
- Abdominal obesity and risk of ischemic stroke: The Northern Manhattan Stroke Study.Stroke. 2003; 34: 1586-1592https://doi.org/10.1161/01.STR.0000075294.98582.2F
- Obesity and endothelial dysfunction.Semin Vasc Med. 2005; 5: 56-64https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2005-871742
- Impact of visceral adipose tissue on clinical outcomes after acute ischemic stroke.Stroke. 2019; 50: 448-454https://doi.org/10.1161/STROKEAHA.118.023421
- Five-year risk of stroke after TIA or minor ischemic stroke.New England Journal of Medicine. 2018; 378: 2182-2190https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1802712
Sean P. Heffron, MD, MS Ms, Amar Parikh M, Alexandar Volodarskiy M, Christine Ren-Fielding M, Arthur Schwartzbard M, Joseph Nicholson, MLIS M, et al. Changes in Lipid Profile of Obese Patients following Contemporary Bariatric Surgery: A Meta-Analysis. American Journal of Medicine 2016;129:952–959. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.physbeh.2017.03.040.
- Cardiovascular disease and mortality in patients with type 2 diabetes after bariatric surgery in Sweden: A nationwide, matched, observational cohort study.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2015; 3: 847-854https://doi.org/10.1016/S2213-8587(15)00334-4
- Effect of obesity on functional outcomes at 6 months post-stroke among elderly Koreans: A prospective multicentre study.BMJ Open. 2015; 5: 1-6https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2015-008712
- The impact of patient’s weight on post-stroke rehabilitation.Disabil Rehabil. 2016; 38: 1684-1690https://doi.org/10.3109/09638288.2015.1107640
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Statement: The manuscript was read and approved by all authors.