- •Management of chronic gastric staple-line leaks (> 12 weeks) after LSG remains challenging.
- •Fourteen patients with chronic gastric leak post-LSG were treated with salvage laparoscopic Roux-en-Y fistulojejunostomy (LRYFJ).
- •LRYFJ seems to be a good surgical option for the treatment of chronic gastric leaks after LSG.
- •It is a challenging procedure and should be performed in experienced bariatric centers by expert bariatric surgeons.
- •Careful patient selection is essential since this approach should only be considered in patients with adequate nutritional status and after failure of a well conducted endoscopic management.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases
- A social contagious model of the obesity epidemic.Sci Rep. 2016; 637961
- Why we think laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy is a good operation: step-by-step technique.J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A. 2020; 30: 615-618
- Perioperative complications of sleeve gastrectomy: review of the literature.J Minim Access Surg. 2019; 15: 1-7
- Gastric leaks post sleeve gastrectomy: review of its prevention and management.World J Gastroenterol. 2014; 20: 13904-13910
- Management of a refractory leak after sleeve gastrectomy: the endoscopic armamentarium.VideoGIE. 2019; 4: 372-374
- Surgical management for chronic leak following sleeve gastrectomy: review of literature.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2019; 15: 1844-1849
- Prospective evaluation of routine early computed tomography scanner in laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2016; 12: 1483-1490
- Sleeve gastrectomy and the risk of leak: a systematic analysis of 4,888 patients.Surg Endosc. 2012; 26: 1509-1515
- Fifth International Consensus Conference: current status of sleeve gastrectomy.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2016; 12: 750-756
- Endoscopic internal drainage coupled to prompt external drainage mobilization is an effective approach for the treatment of complicated cases of sleeve gastrectomy.Obes Surg. 2019; 29: 2929-2935
- Internal endoscopic drainage as first line or second line treatment in case of postsleeve gastrectomy fistulas.Endosc Int Open. 2018; 6: E745-E750
- Management of leak after sleeve gastrectomy: outcomes of 73 cases, treatment algorithm and predictors of resolution.Obes Surg. 2020; 30: 515-520
- Salvage procedures for chronic gastric leaks after sleeve gastrectomy: the role of laparoscopic Roux-en-Y fistulo-jejunostomy.Ann Transl Med. 2019; 7: S119
- Use of a Roux limb to correct esophagogastric junction fistulas after sleeve gastrectomy.Obes Surg. 2007; 17: 1408-1410
- Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Double fistulo-jejunostomy for chronic gastric leaks after converted vertical banded gastroplasty to sleeve gastrectomy.Obes Surg. 2020; 30: 378-380
- Laparoscopic Roux limb placement for the management of chronic proximal fistulas after sleeve gastrectomy: technical aspects.Surg Endosc. 2015; 29: 414-416
- Roux-en-Y fistulo-jejunostomy as a salvage procedure in patients with post-sleeve gastrectomy fistula: mid-term results.Surg Endosc. 2016; 30: 4200-4204
- Classification of surgical complications: a new proposal with evaluation in a cohort of 6336 patients and results of a survey.Ann Surg. 2004; 240: 205-213
- Endoscopic internal drainage for the management of leak, fistula, and collection after sleeve gastrectomy: our experience in 617 consecutive patients.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2021; 17: 1432-1439
- Bariatric Surgery Worldwide: baseline demographic description and one-year outcomes from the Second IFSO Global Registry Report 2013–2015.Obes Surg. 2018; 28: 313-322
- International Sleeve Gastrectomy Expert Panel Consensus Statement: best practice guidelines based on experience of >12,000 cases.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2012; 8: 8-19
- Endoscopic management of leaks and fistulas after bariatric surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Surg Endosc. 2021; 35: 1067-1087
- Gastric leak after sleeve gastrectomy: risk factors for poor evolution under conservative management.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2021; 17: 947-955
- Gastric leaks after sleeve gastrectomy: a multicenter experience with 2,834 patients.Surg Endosc. 2013; 27: 240-245
- Roux-En-Y Fistulo-Jejunostomy as a salvage procedure in patients with post-sleeve gastrectomy fistula.Surg Endosc. 2014; 28: 1954-1960
- Laparoscopic revision to total gastrectomy or fistulo-jejunostomy as a definitive surgical procedure for chronic gastric fistula after laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2020; 16: 1893-1900