- •Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGB) in stone formers shows an increase in oxalate excretion in 50% of patients.
- •Sleeve gastrectomy (SG) in stone formers had no adverse effects on urinary oxalate and citrate excretion.
- •Both show favorable effects on sodium, calcium, uric acid, and phosphate excretion.
- •Metabolic profiling helps to select the best bariatric procedure in stone formers.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases
- Body fatness, diabetes, physical activity and risk of kidney stones: a systematic review and meta-analysis of cohort studies.Eur J Epidemiol. 2018; 33: 1033-1047
- Effect of gastric bypass surgery on kidney stone disease.J Urol. 2009; 181: 2573-2577
- Kidney stones are common after bariatric surgery.Kidney Int. 2015; 87: 839-845
- The effect of restrictive bariatric surgery on urinary stone risk factors.Urology. 2010; 76: 826-829
- The effect of restrictive bariatric surgery on urolithiasis.J Endourol. 2013; 27: 242-244
- The effect of gastric banding on kidney stone disease.Urology. 2009; 74: 746-750
- Enteric hyperoxaluria, nephrolithiasis, and oxalate nephropathy: potentially serious and unappreciated complications of Roux-en-Y gastric bypass.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2005; 1: 481-485
- Prevalence of hyperoxaluria after bariatric surgery.J Urol. 2009; 181: 161-166
- Gastric band placement for obesity is not associated with increased urinary risk of urolithiasis compared to bypass.J Urol. 2009; 182: 2340-2346
- Hypocitraturia and hyperoxaluria after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery.J Urol. 2010; 183: 1026-1030
- Response to dietary oxalate after bariatric surgery.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2012; 7: 2033-2040
- A prospective study of risk factors for nephrolithiasis after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery.J Urol. 2009; 182: 2334-2339
- Hyperoxaluria is a long-term consequence of Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: a 2-year prospective longitudinal study.J Am Coll Surg. 2010; 211: 8-15
- Fat malabsorption and increased intestinal oxalate absorption are common after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery.Surgery. 2011; 149: 654-661
- Urolithiasis risk factors in the bariatric population undergoing gastric bypass surgery.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2013; 9: 83-87
- Calcium oxalate supersaturation increases early after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2014; 10: 88-94
- Urinary evaluation after RYGBP: a lithogenic profile with early postoperative increase in the incidence of urolithiasis.Obes Surg. 2013; 23: 1575-1580
- Prospective evaluation of 24-hour urine profiles following bariatric surgery in a modern comprehensive care bariatric clinic.Clin Nephrol. 2014; 81: 331-337
- Hyperoxaluria in kidney stone formers treated with modern bariatric surgery.J Urol. 2007; 177: 565-569
- Controlled metabolic diet reduces calcium oxalate supersaturation but not oxalate excretion after bariatric surgery.Urology. 2012; 80: 250-254
- Bariatric surgery in patients with a history of nephrolithiasis: 24-h urine profiles and radiographic changes after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass versus sleeve gastrectomy.Obes Surg. 2021; 31: 1673-1679
- Clinical practice guidelines for the perioperative nutrition, metabolic, and nonsurgical support of patients undergoing bariatric procedures – 2019 update: cosponsored by American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists/American College of Endocrinology, the Obesity Society, American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery, Obesity Medicine Association, and American Society of Anesthesiologists.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2020; 16: 175-247
- International federation for the surgery of obesity and metabolic disorders (IFSO). Selection criteria. [Internet].(Available from:)https://www.ifso.com/are-you-a-candidateDate accessed: June 1, 2021
- A longer biliopancreatic limb in Roux-en-Y gastric bypass improves weight loss in the first years after surgery: results of a randomized controlled trial.Obes Surg. 2018; 28: 3744-3755
IBM Corp. Released 2017. IBM SPSS Statistics for Windows, Version 188.8.131.52. Armonk, NY: IBM Corp.
- Modification of estimation of the urinary ion-activity products of calcium oxalate and calcium phosphate.Hinyokika Kiyo. 1993; 39: 407-411
- Comparison of the Equil2 program and other methods for estimating the ion-activity product of urinary calcium oxalate: a new simplified method is proposed.Int J Urol. 1996; 3: 383-385
- 24-h uric acid excretion and the risk of kidney stones.Kidney Int. 2008; 73: 489-496
- Alterations of global gastrointestinal motility after sleeve gastrectomy: a prospective study.Ann Surg. 2013; 258: 976-982
- Predictive value of kidney stone composition in the detection of metabolic abnormalities.Am J Med. 2003; 115: 26-32
- The effects of bariatric surgery on bone and nephrolithiasis.Bone. 2016; 84: 1-8
- Effect of bile salts and fatty acids on the colonic absorption of oxalate.Gastroenterology. 1976; 70: 1096-1100
- Oleic acid and docosahexaenoic acid cause an increase in the paracellular absorption of hydrophilic compounds in an experimental model of human absorptive enterocytes.Toxicology. 2007; 237: 12-23
- A human strain of Oxalobacter (HC-1) promotes enteric oxalate secretion in the small intestine of mice and reduces urinary oxalate excretion.Urolithiasis. 2013; 41: 379-384
- Oxalobacter formigenes colonization normalizes oxalate excretion in a gastric bypass model of hyperoxaluria.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2017; 13: 1152-1158
- Long-term morbidity following jejunoileal bypass. The continuing potential need for surgical reversal.Arch Surg. 1995; 130: 318
- Oxalate nephropathy complicating Roux-en Y gastric bypass: an underrecognized cause of irreversible renal failure.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2008; 3: 1676-1683