- •While living in close proximity to foods stores does not ensure utilization, in this study, patients who lived within a 10-Minute walk to food stores had better weight loss two years after bariatric surgery.
- •Black patients with access to more food stores within a 10-Minute walk and White patients with more access within a 5-Minute walk had greater %TWL over 24 months.
- •Living in areas with lower poverty levels did not negatively affect weight loss for Black patients.
- •There were no significant associations for weight loss based on unemployment rate or proximity to fitness/recreational facilities and percent open area.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases
- Surgery for weight loss in adults.Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2014. 2014; 8: CD003641
- The role of bariatric surgery to treat diabetes: current challenges and perspectives.BMC Endocr Disord. 2017; 17: 50
- Bariatric surgery vs lifestyle intervention for diabetes treatment: 5-year outcomes from a randomized trial.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2020; 105: 866-876
- Comparative efficacy of bariatric surgery in the treatment of morbid obesity and diabetes mellitus: a systematic review and network meta-analysis.Obes Surg. 2019; 29: 2180-2190
- American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery.(ASMBS) [Internet]. Newberry, FL; [2022 Jun; cited XXXX Mon X]. Surgery for Diabetes [about 5 screens]. Available from:
- American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery.(ASMBS) [Internet]. Newberry, FL; [2022 Jun; cited XXXX Mon X]. Estimate of Bariatric Surgery Numbers, 2011–2020 [about 1 screen]. Available from:
- Bariatric surgery worldwide: baseline demographic description and one-year outcomes from the fourth IFSO global registry report 2018.Obes Surg. 2019; 29: 782-795
- Outcomes of bariatric surgery in African Americans: an analysis of the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP) data registry.Obes Surg. 2020; 30: 4275-4285
- The impact of socioeconomic factors on the early postoperative complication rate after laparoscopic gastric bypass surgery.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2019; 15: 575-581
- The association between socioeconomic factors and weight loss 5 years after gastric bypass surgery.Int J Obes (Lond). 2020; 44: 2279-2290
- Socioeconomic and racial disparities in bariatric surgery.Obes Surg. 2020; 30: 2445-2449
- Association of race with bariatric surgery outcomes.JAMA Surg. 2019; 154e190029
- Racial disparities in perioperative outcomes after metabolic and bariatric surgery: a case-control matched study.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2020; 16: 1111-1123
- Racial disparities in obesity treatment.Curr Obes Rep. 2018; 7: 130-138
- Not all weight loss created equal.JAMA Surg. 2019; 154e190067
- Closing the gap in a generation: health equity through action on the social determinants of health [monograph on the Internet].WHO Press, Geneva, Switzerland2008 ([cited 2017 Jan]. Available from:)
- Sociological factors associated with ethnic disparities in metabolic and bariatric surgery utilization: a qualitative study.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2020; 16: 786-795
- A qualitative analysis of post-operative nutritional barriers and useful dietary services reported by bariatric surgical patients.Obes Surg. 2016; 26: 2331-2339
- Exploring the socio-ecological factors behind the (in)active lifestyles of Spanish post-bariatric surgery patients.Int J Qual Stud Health Well-Being. 2019; 141626180
- Patient access, utilization, and perceptions of neighborhood and built environment resources.Obes Surg. 2022; 32: 416-427
- The role of food and activity environment in a bariatric surgery population: impact on postoperative weight loss.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2022; 18: 365-372
- Standardized outcomes reporting in metabolic and bariatric surgery.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2015; 11: 489-506
- United States Census Bureau [Internet]. Washington, D.C.(The Bureau; YYYY [updated XXXX Mon X; cited XXXX Mon X]. 2019 American Community Survey 3-year Public Use Microdata Samples [about X screens]. Available from:)
- Distance to store, food prices, and obesity in urban food deserts.Am J Prev Med. 2014; 47: 587-595
- Identifying destination distances that support walking trips in local neighborhoods.JTH. 2017; 5: 133-141
Infogroup on all businesses in Franklin County, Ohio with NAICS code 445110. Available from:
Infogroup for all business in Franklin County, Ohio with NAICS code 713940 (fitness and recreation centers). Available from:
Mid-Ohio Regional Planning Commission (MORPC). Infogroup on all businesses in Franklin County, Ohio with NAICS code 445110. Available from:
- Hierarchical linear models: applications and data analysis methods.1st ed. Sage, Newbury Park, CA1992
- Effects of neighborhood walkability on physical activity and sedentary behavior long-term post-bariatric surgery.Obes Surg. 2017; 27: 1589-1594
- Association between Medicaid status, social determinants of health, and bariatric surgery outcomes.Ann Surg Open. 2021; 2: e028
- Roux-en-Y gastric bypass for morbid obesity: what are the preoperative predictors of weight loss?.Postgrad Med J. 2013; 89: 411-416