oPatients with end-stage renal disease (ESRD) had longer hospital stay after surgery
oPatients with ESRD had higher rates of major complications and mortality
oTotal weight loss was the same between patients with and without ESRD
oSleeve gastrectomy had fewer postoperative complications in patients with ESRD
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases
- Health Effects of Overweight and Obesity in 195 Countries over 25 Years.N Engl J Med. 2017; 377: 13-27
- Obesity in kidney transplantation.Transplant international : official journal of the European Society for Organ Transplantation. 2020; 33: 581-589
- Obesity in kidney transplantation.Transplant International. 2020; 33: 581-589
Lee Y, Raveendran L, Lovrics O, et al. The role of bariatric surgery on kidney transplantation: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Canadian Urological Association journal = Journal de l'Association des urologues du Canada. 2021;15(10):E553-e62.
- Bariatric surgery versus non-surgical treatment for obesity: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials.BMJ (Clinical research ed). 2013; 347: f5934
- Effectiveness and Safety of Bariatric Surgery in Patients with End-Stage Chronic Kidney Disease or Kidney Transplant.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2020; 28: 2290-2304
- Long-term outcomes in patients with obesity and renal disease after sleeve gastrectomy.American journal of transplantation : official journal of the American Society of Transplantation and the American Society of Transplant Surgeons. 2020; 20: 422-429
- Improvement and stabilization of chronic kidney disease after gastric bypass.Surgery for obesity and related diseases : official journal of the American Society for Bariatric Surgery. 2009; 5: 237-241
- Weight loss interventions in chronic kidney disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Clinical journal of the American Society of Nephrology : CJASN. 2009; 4: 1565-1574
- Improvement of kidney function in patients with chronic kidney disease and severe obesity after bariatric surgery: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Nephrology (Carlton). 2022; 27: 44-56
- Long-term impact of bariatric surgery in diabetic nephropathy.Surgical endoscopy. 2019; 33: 1654-1660
- Bariatric surgery among patients with end-stage kidney disease: improving access to transplantation. Surgery for obesity and related diseases.official journal of the American Society for Bariatric Surgery. 2020; 16: 14-16
- Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement.Int J Surg. 2010; 8: 336-341
- Systematic reviews in surgery-recommendations from the Study Center of the German Society of Surgery.Langenbeck's archives of surgery. 2021; 406: 1723-1731
- Optimal literature search for systematic reviews in surgery.Langenbeck's archives of surgery. 2018; 403: 119-129
- ROBINS-I: a tool for assessing risk of bias in non-randomised studies of interventions.BMJ (Clinical research ed). 2016; 355: i4919
- Grading quality of evidence and strength of recommendations.BMJ (Clinical research ed). 2004; 328: 1490
- Weight Loss After Bariatric Surgery in Morbidly Obese End-Stage Kidney Disease Patients as Preparation for Kidney Transplantation. Matched Pair Analysis in a High-Volume Bariatric and Transplant Center.Obesity surgery. 2020; 30: 2708-2714
- Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy for morbid obesity in renal transplantation candidates: a matched case-control study.Transplant international : official journal of the European Society for Organ Transplantation. 2020; 33: 1061-1070
- Severe Chronic Kidney Disease Is Associated with a Lower Efficiency of Bariatric Surgery.Obesity surgery. 2019; 29: 1514-1520
- Risks of Bariatric Surgery Among Patients With End-stage Renal Disease.JAMA surgery. 2019; 154: 1160-1162
- Trends in Bariatric Surgery Procedures among Patients with ESKD in the United States.Clinical journal of the American Society of Nephrology : CJASN. 2019; 14: 1193-1199
- Safety analysis of primary bariatric surgery in patients on chronic dialysis.Surgical endoscopy. 2016; 30: 2583-2591
- Safety and effectiveness of bariatric surgery in dialysis patients and kidney transplantation candidates. Surgery for obesity and related diseases.official journal of the American Society for Bariatric Surgery. 2015; 11: 419-423
- Effectiveness of Bariatric Surgery in Increasing Kidney Transplant Eligibility in Patients with Kidney Failure Requiring Dialysis.Obesity surgery. 2021; 31: 3436-3443
- Bariatric Surgery Is Efficacious and Improves Access to Transplantation for Morbidly Obese Renal Transplant Candidates.Obesity surgery. 2019; 29: 2373-2380
- Bariatric Surgery in Patients with Dialysis-Dependent Renal Failure.Obesity surgery. 2015; 25: 2088-2092
- Bariatric Surgery as a Bridge to Renal Transplantation in Patients with End-Stage Renal Disease.Obesity surgery. 2017; 27: 2951-2955
- Risk of end-stage renal disease and death after cardiovascular events in chronic kidney disease.Circulation. 2014; 130: 458-465
- Obesity surgery mortality risk score: proposal for a clinically useful score to predict mortality risk in patients undergoing gastric bypass.Surgery for obesity and related diseases : official journal of the American Society for Bariatric Surgery. 2007; 3: 134-140
- Postoperative outcomes after bariatric surgery in patients on chronic dialysis: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Obesity Research & Clinical Practice. 2021; 15: 473-484
- National Postoperative Bariatric Surgery Outcomes in Patients with Chronic Kidney Disease and End-Stage Kidney Disease.Obesity surgery. 2019; 29: 975-982
- The relationship between hospital volume and outcome in bariatric surgery at academic medical centers.Annals of surgery. 2004; 240 (; discussion 93-4): 586-593
Khajeh E, Aminizadeh E, Eslami P, et al. Outcomes of Bariatric Surgery in Obese Patients with Compensated Liver Cirrhosis. 2022.
- Addressing morbid obesity as a barrier to renal transplantation with laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy.American journal of transplantation : official journal of the American Society of Transplantation and the American Society of Transplant Surgeons. 2015; 15: 1360-1368
- Roux-en-Y gastric bypass is an effective bridge to kidney transplantation: Results from a single center.Clin Transplant. 2018; 32e13232
- Comparison of the effect of Roux-en-Y gastric bypass and sleeve gastrectomy on remission of type 2 diabetes: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Obesity reviews : an official journal of the International Association for the Study of Obesity. 2020; 21e13011
- Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy Versus Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of Weight Loss, Comorbidities, and Biochemical Outcomes From Randomized Controlled Trials.Annals of surgery. 2021; 273: 66-74
- Effect of Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy vs Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass on Weight Loss in Patients With Morbid Obesity: The SM-BOSS Randomized Clinical Trial.Jama. 2018; 319: 255-265
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Potential conflicts of interest: None
Funding source: The current meta-analysis was not supported by any grant funding.
Source of Funding
The current meta-analysis was not supported by any grant funding.
Declaration of conflicts of interest
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.