Highlights - Evaluating the Impact of Metabolic Surgery on Patients with Prior Opioid Use
- •45% of patients with opioid use prior to surgery discontinued use at 1 year
- •Income <$10K and preoperative tobacco use were associated with opioid persistence
- •Persistent opioid use was not associated with MMEs prescribed after surgery
- •Persistent opioid use was associated with lower percent excess body weight loss
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases
- Association of opioid prescribing with opioid consumption after surgery in Michigan.JAMA Surg. 2019; 154e184234
- New persistent opioid use after minor and major surgical procedures in US adults.JAMA Surg. 2017; 152e170504
- Opioids and bariatric surgery: a review and suggested recommendations for assessment and risk reduction.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2019; 15: 314-321
- Addictive behaviors related to opioid use for chronic pain: a population-based study.Pain. 2013; 154: 2677-2683
- Obesity and chronic pain: systematic review of prevalence and implications for pain practice.Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2015; 40: 91-111
- The association between chronic pain and obesity.J Pain Res. 2015; 8: 399-408
- Association of bariatric surgery vs medical obesity treatment with long-term medical complications and obesity-related comorbidities.JAMA. 2018; 319: 291-301
- Prescriptions for pain medication before and after bariatric surgery.Surg Endosc. 2022; 367: 4960-4968
- Chronic use of opioid medications before and after bariatric surgery.JAMA. 2013; 310: 1369-1376
- Effect of new persistent opioid use on physiologic and psychologic outcomes following bariatric surgery.Surg Endosc. 2019; 33: 2649-2656
- Use of prescribed opioids before and after bariatric surgery: prospective evidence from a U.S. multicenter cohort study.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2017; 13: 1337-1346
- Chronic abdominal pain and persistent opioid use after bariatric surgery.Scand J Pain. 2020; 20: 239-251
- Outcomes of bariatric surgery in patients on chronic opioids: can bariatric surgery assist with decreasing long-term opioid utilization?.Obes Surg. 2022; 32: 786-791
- Preoperative chronic opioid use and its impact on early complications in bariatric surgery: a Swedish nationwide cohort study of 56,183 patients.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2021; 17: 1256-1262
- Chronic opioid use after surgery: implications for perioperative management in the face of the opioid epidemic.Anesth Analg. 2017; 125: 1733-1740
- Current perspectives on the opioid crisis in the US healthcare system: a comprehensive literature review.Medicine (Baltimore). 2019; 98e15425
- Hospital complication rates with bariatric surgery in Michigan.JAMA. 2010; 304: 435-442
Michigan Bariatric Surgery Collaborative (MBSC) [Internet]. Ann Arbor (MI): The Collaborative; c2022 [cited 2022 Jul 17]. M-PIRRE: Michigan Perioperative Initiative to Reduce Readmissions & ED Visits; [about 4 screens]. Available from: https://www.mbscsurgery.org/mpirre.
Michigan Bariatric Surgery Collaborative (MBSC) [Internet]. Ann Arbor (MI): The Collaborative; c2022 [cited 2022 Jul 17]. Future: Finding Useful Techniques to Upgrade Recovery Enhancement; [about 3 screens]. Available from: https://www.mbscsurgery.org/future.
- Risk factors and prevention strategies for postoperative opioid abuse.Pain Res Manag. 2019; 20197490801
- Transversus abdominis plane block appears to be effective and safe as a part of multimodal analgesia in bariatric surgery: a meta-analysis and systematic review of randomized controlled trials.Obes Surg. 2021; 31: 531-543
- Trends and predictors of opioid use following total knee and total hip arthroplasty.Pain. 2016; 157: 1259-1265
- Preoperative opioid use and its association with perioperative opioid demand and postoperative opioid independence in patients undergoing spine surgery.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2014; 39: E1524-E1530
- Addiction transfer and other behavioral changes following bariatric surgery.Surg Clin North Am. 2021; 101: 323-333
- Recommendations for the presurgical psychosocial evaluation of bariatric surgery patients.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2016; 12: 731-749
- Trends and risk factors for prolonged opioid use after unicompartmental knee arthroplasty.Bone Joint J. 2018; 100-B: 62-67
- Preoperative predictors of poor acute postoperative pain control: a systematic review and meta-analysis.BMJ Open. 2019; 9e025091
- Alcohol and other substance use after bariatric surgery: prospective evidence from a U.S. multicenter cohort study.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2017; 13: 1392-1402
OPEN: Opioid Prescribing Engagement Network [Internet]. Ann Arbor (MI): Regents of the University of Michigan; 2022 [cited 2022 Dec 14]. Surgical prescribing: summary of best practices; [about 4 screens]. Available from: https://doi.org/10.56137/OPEN.000018.
- Patient-reported comorbidity assessment after bariatric surgery: a potential tool to improve longitudinal follow-up.Ann Surg. 2022; 276: e792-e797
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
This work was supported by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan/Blue Care Network. The funding source was not involved in the collection, analysis, and interpretation of data; writing of the report; or decision to submit the article for publication.