- •Focus groups ranked health as the most important outcome for bariatric surgery.
- •Self-confidence, mobility, and every day activities were the next highest ranked.
- •The PROMIS-10 survey was selected as the general health measure.
- •The OP and the OWLQOL were the disease-specific measures selected for the MBSAQIP.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases
American College of Surgeons (ACS) [Internet]. Chicago: The College; c1996–2023 [cited 2022 Aug 12]. Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program; [about 4 screens]. Available from: https://www.facs.org/quality-programs/accreditation-and-verification/metabolic-and-bariatric-surgery-accreditation-and-quality-improvement-program/.
- The history of metabolic and bariatric surgery: development of standards for patient safety and efficacy.Metab Clin Exp. 2018; 79: 97-107
- Safety and efficacy of bariatric and metabolic surgery.Cur Obes Rep. 2020; 9: 159-164
- Why patients seek bariatric surgery: a qualitative and quantitative analysis of patient motivation.Obes Surg. 2007; 17: 1487-1491
- Patient reported outcome measures could help transform healthcare.BMJ. 2013; 346: f167
- Selection of patient-reported outcome measures (PROMs) for use in health systems.J Patient Rep Outcomes. 2021; 5: 99
- The employment of patient-reported outcomes measures to communicate the likely benefits of surgery.Patient Rep Outcome Meas. 2018; 9: 263-266
- Is the RAND-36 an adequate patient-reported outcome measure to assess health-related quality of life in patients undergoing bariatric surgery?.Obesity Surg. 2022; 32: 48-54
- Incorporating patient-reported outcomes into health care to engage patients and enhance care.Health Affairs. 2016; 35: 575-582
- Sampling in qualitative inquiry.in: Crabtree B.F. Miller W.L. Doing qualitative research. 2nd ed. Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks (CA)1999: 33-45
- Health measurement scales: a practical guide to their development and use.Oxford University Press, Oxford2008
- Improving response rates and evaluating nonresponse bias in surveys: AMEE Guide No. 102.Med Teach. 2016; 38: 217-228
- Immersion/crystallization.in: Crabtree B.F. Miller W.L. Doing qualitative research. 2nd ed. Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks (CA)1999: 179-194
- Immersion–crystallization: a valuable analytic tool for healthcare research.Fam Pract. 2022; 39: 785-789
- Development of physical and mental health summary scores from the patient-reported outcomes measurement information system (PROMIS) global items.Qual Life Res. 2009; 18: 873-880
- Measuring physical and mental health using the SF-12: implications for community surveys of mental health.Aust N Z J of Psychiatry. 2006; 40: 797-803
- Updated U.S. population standard for the Veterans RAND 12-Item Health Survey.Qual Life Res. 2009; 18: 43-52
- A new approach to multicultural item generation in the development of two obesity-specific measures: the Obesity and Weight Loss Quality of Life (OWLQOL) questionnaire and the Weight-Related Symptom Measure (WRSM).Clin Ther. 2002; 24: 690-700
- Patient-reported outcome measures: BODY-Q.Clin Plast Surg. 2019; 46: 15-24
- Psychosocial functioning in the obese before and after weight reduction: construct validity and responsiveness of the Obesity-Related Problems scale.Int J Obes. 2003; 27: 617-630
American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASBMS) [Internet]. Newberry (FL): The Society; 2022 [cited 2022 Jun 27]. Estimate of bariatric surgery numbers, 2011–2020; [about 1 screen]. Available from: https://asmbs.org/resources/estimate-of-bariatric-surgery-numbers.
- Variation in patient-reported outcomes across hospitals following surgery.Med Care. 2015; 53: 960-966
- Improvements of health-related quality of life five years after gastric bypass. What is important besides weight loss? A study from Scandinavian Obesity Surgery Register.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2020; 16: 1249-1257
- Improvement in patient-reported outcomes in Chinese adults after bariatric surgery: 1-year follow-up of a prospective cohort.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2020; 16: 1563-1574
- Validating the SF-36 health survey questionnaire: new outcome measure for primary care.BMJ. 1992; 305: 160-164
- Development of a brief measure to assess quality of life in obesity.Obes Res. 2001; 9: 102-111
- Beware of the origin of numbers: standard scoring of the SF-12 and SF-36 summary measures distorts measurement and score interpretations.Res Nurs Health. 2017; 40: 378-386
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Research reported in this work was funded through a Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) Award (CER-1503-29209).