- •The prevalence of opioid usage among patients with obesity is higher than the general population
- •This study shows a significant decrease in the consumption of opioid medication after bariatric surgery
- •Bariatric surgery could be an additional tool to fight the current opioid crisis
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases
HHS Acting Secretary Declares Public Health Emergency to Address National Opioid Crisis, October 26, 2017. Accessed December 15, 2022. https://www.hhs.gov/about/news/2017/10/26/hhs-acting-secretary-declares-public-health-emergency-address-national-opioid-crisis.html
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Leveraging Prescription Drug Monitoring Program (PDMP) Data in Overdose Prevention and Response. Atlanta, GA. National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, Division of Overdose Prevention, 2021.
Hedegaard H, Miniño AM, Warner M. Drug overdose deaths in the United States, 1999–2019. NCHS Data Brief, no 394. Hyattsville, MD. National Center for Health Statistics, 2020.
Hedegaard H, Miniño AM, Spencer MR, et al. Drug overdose deaths in the United States, 1999–2020. NCHS Data Brief, no 428. Hyattsville, MD. National Center for Health Statistics, 2021.
- Prevalence of Therapeutic use of Opioids in Chronic non-Cancer Pain Patients and Associated Factors: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.Front Pharmacol. 2020 Nov 18; 11564412
The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), Obesity Update 2017. Accessed December 15, 2022. http://www.oecd.org/health/obesity-update.htm
Stierman B, Afful J, Carroll MD, et al. National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2017–March 2020 prepandemic data files—Development of files and prevalence estimates for selected health outcomes. National Health Statistics Reports; no 158. Hyattsville, MD. National Center for Health Statistics, 2021.
- Pediatric obesity: parallels with addiction and treatment recommendations.Harv Rev Psychiatry. 2008; 16: 80-96
- Psychiatric disorders among bariatric surgery candidates: relationship to obesity and functional health status.Am J Psychiatry. 2007; 164: 328-334
- The emerging link between alcoholism risk and obesity in the United States.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2010; 67: 1301-1308
- The association between overweight and illegal drug consumption in adolescents: is there an underlying influence of the sociocultural environment?.PLoS One. 2011; 6 (Epub 2011 Nov 16)e27358
- Food addiction: an examination of the diagnostic criteria for dependence.J Addict Med. 2009; 3: 1-7
- Oral sucrose stimulation increases accumbens dopamine in the rat.Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2004; 286: R31-R37
- Food addiction and obesity: evidence from bench to bedside.J Psychoactive Drugs. 2010; 42: 133-145
Hoebel B, Rada PV, Mark GP, et al. (1999). Neural systems for reinforcement and inhibition of behavior: Relevance to eating, addiction and depression. In Kahneman D, Diener E, Schwarz N, eds. Well being: Foundations of hedonic psychology. New York, NY: Russell Sage Foundation;1999: 558 –572.
- Comorbidity of obesity and pain in a general population: results from the Southern Pain Prevalence Study.J Pain. 2007; 8: 430-436
- Bariatric Surgery and Low Back Pain: A Systematic Literature Review.Global Spine J. 2020; 10: 102-110
- Rapid changes in gait, musculoskeletal pain, and quality of life after bariatric surgery.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2012; 8: 346-354
- The contribution of obesity to prescription opioid use in the United States.Pain. 2019; 160: 2255-2262
- Consensus conference panel. Consensus conference statement bariatric surgery for morbid obesity: health implications for patients, health professionals, and third-party payers.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2005; 1: 371-381
- Effects of bariatric surgery on mortality in Swedish obese subjects.N Engl J Med. 2007; 357: 741-752
- Survival and changes in comorbidities after bariatric surgery.Ann Surg. 2008; 247: 21-27
- The impact of bariatric surgery on psychological health.J Obes. 2013; 2013837989
- Are laparoscopic bariatric procedures safe in superobese (BMI ≥50 kg/m2) patients? An NSQIP data analysis.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2011 Jul-Aug; 7: 452-458
- Late outcome of isolated gastric bypass.Ann Surg. 2000; 231: 524-528
- Outcomes of bariatric surgery in the elderly.Am Surg. 2006 Oct; 72: 865-869
- Improvements in Diabetic Neuropathy and Nephropathy After Bariatric Surgery: a Prospective Cohort Study.Obes Surg. 2021; 31: 554-563
- Gastric bypass leads to improvement of diabetic neuropathy independent of glucose normalization--results of a prospective cohort study (DiaSurg 1 study).Ann Surg. 2013; 258 (; discussion 765-6): 760-765
- Spillover Effect of Evidence-Based Postoperative Opioid Prescribing.J Am Coll Surg. 2018 Sep; 227: 374-381
- An Educational Intervention Decreases Opioid Prescribing After General Surgical Operations.Ann Surg. 2018 Mar; 267: 468-472
- Does obesity surgery improve psychosocial functioning? A systematic review.Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2003; 27: 1300-1314
- Psychosocial functioning following bariatric surgery.Obes Surg. 2006; 16: 787-794
The ministry of Health of Ontario, Canada. Physician Services Under the Health Insurance Act – Schedule of Benefits. October 5, 2022. Accessed on February 20, 2023. https://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/programs/ohip/sob/physserv/sob_master_20221201.pdf
- Compliance with surgical after-care following bariatric surgery for morbid obesity: a retrospective study.Obes Surg. 2005; 15: 261-265
- Factors associated with treatment continuation: implications for the treatment of drug dependence.NIDA Res Monogr. 1997; 165: 110-130
- Medication compliance among patients with bipolar disorder and substance use disorder.J Clin Psychiatry. 1998; 59: 172-174
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof