- •In persons with Class I Obesity, LSG resulted in significant, sustained weight loss
- •Being treated with oral therapy was a significant predictor of cure of type 2 diabetes after LSG
- •Pre-existing symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease resolved in 80% of patients
- •Quality of life after surgery was good with no major morbidity or surgery-related mortality.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases
- NIH conference. Gastrointestinal surgery for severe obesity. Consensus Development Conference Panel.Annals of internal medicine. 1991; 115
- Mortality Following Bariatric Surgery Compared to Other Common Operations in Finland During a 5-Year Period (2009-2013). A Nationwide Registry Study.Obesity surgery. 2017; 27
- Metabolically healthy versus metabolically unhealthy obesity.Metabolism. 2019; 92: 51-60
- The natural course of healthy obesity over 20 years.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2015; 65: 101-102
- Is it worth it? Determining the health benefits of sleeve gastrectomy in patients with a body mass index 2. Surgery for obesity and related diseases.official journal of the American Society for Bariatric Surgery. 2020; 16
- Bariatric surgery in class I obesity : a Position Statement from the International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders (IFSO).Obesity surgery. 2014; 24
- ASMBS updated position statement on bariatric surgery in class I obesity (BMI 30-35 kg/m 2). Surgery for obesity and related diseases.official journal of the American Society for Bariatric Surgery. 2018; 14
Potential Candidates for Weight-loss Surgery | NIDDK. 2022.
Tri-Council Policy Statement: Ethical Conduct for Research Involving Humans – TCPS 2 (2018). 2019.
- Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy as day-case surgery versus conventional hospitalization: results of the DAYSLEEVE randomized clinical trial.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2022;
- Updated Bariatric Analysis and Reporting Outcome System (BAROS).Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2009; 5: 60-66
- Reliability and validity study of the translated Arabic version of Moorehead-Ardelt Quality of Life Questionnaire II.Saudi Med J. 2022; 43: 301-306
- Standardized outcomes reporting in metabolic and bariatric surgery.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2015; 11: 489-506
- Overweight, obesity, and mortality in a large prospective cohort of persons 50 to 71 years old.N Engl J Med. 2006; 355: 763-778
- Body-mass index and cause-specific mortality in 900 000 adults: collaborative analyses of 57 prospective studies.Lancet. 2009; 373: 1083-1096
- Association of metabolic-bariatric surgery with long-term survival in adults with and without diabetes: a one-stage meta-analysis of matched cohort and prospective controlled studies with 174 772 participants.Lancet. 2021; 397: 1830-1841
- Life Expectancy after Bariatric Surgery in the Swedish Obese Subjects Study.N Engl J Med. 2020; 383: 1535-1543
- Review of the key results from the Swedish Obese Subjects (SOS) trial - a prospective controlled intervention study of bariatric surgery.J Intern Med. 2013; 273: 219-234
- Sustained reduction in the incidence of type 2 diabetes by lifestyle intervention: follow-up of the Finnish Diabetes Prevention Study.Lancet. 2006; 368: 1673-1679
- 10-year follow-up of diabetes incidence and weight loss in the Diabetes Prevention Program Outcomes Study.Lancet. 2009; 374: 1677-1686
- Association of hypertension, diabetes, dyslipidemia, and metabolic syndrome with obesity: findings from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1999 to 2004.J Am Coll Surg. 2008; 207: 928-934
- The effect of obesity on health outcomes.Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2010; 316: 104-108
- Body-mass index and incidence of cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis of prospective observational studies.Lancet. 2008; 371: 569-578
- Overweight as an avoidable cause of cancer in Europe.Int J Cancer. 2001; 91: 421-430
- Central obesity and breast cancer risk: a systematic review.Obes Rev. 2003; 4: 157-173
- Body mass index and adenocarcinomas of the esophagus or gastric cardia: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2006; 15: 872-878
- A meta-analysis of obesity and the risk of pancreatic cancer.Br J Cancer. 2003; 89: 519-523
- Body size and composition and prostate cancer risk: systematic review and meta-regression analysis.Cancer Causes Control. 2006; 17: 989-1003
- Bariatric Surgery Versus Lifestyle Intervention in Class I Obesity: 7-10-Year Results of a Retrospective Study.World J Surg. 2019; 43: 758-762
- Initial results with sleeve gastrectomy for patients with class I obesity (BMI 30-35 kg/m2).Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2009; 5: 425-428
- Short-Term Outcomes of Laparoscopic Greater Curvature Plication and Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy in Patients with a Body Mass Index of 30 to 35 kg/m2.Yonsei Med J. 2017; 58: 1025-1030
- Lifestyle, Diabetes, and Cardiovascular Risk Factors 10 Years after Bariatric Surgery.New England Journal of Medicine. 2004; 351: 2683-2693
- De novo gastroesophageal reflux disease after sleeve gastrectomy: role of preoperative silent reflux.Surg Endosc. 2019; 33: 789-793
- Manometric changes of the lower esophageal sphincter after sleeve gastrectomy in obese patients.Obes Surg. 2010; 20: 357-362
- Body-mass index and symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux in women.N Engl J Med. 2006; 354: 2340-2348
- Lifestyle Intervention in Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2016; 14 (e1-3): 175-182
- Changes in prevalence, incidence and spontaneous loss of gastro-oesophageal reflux symptoms: a prospective population-based cohort study, the HUNT study.Gut. 2012; 61: 1390-1397
- The impact of obesity on health-related quality of life in Spain.Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2017; 15: 197
- Adult Obesity and Health-Related Quality of Life, Patient Activation, Work Productivity, and Weight Loss Behaviors in the United States.Diabetes Metab Syndr Obes. 2020; 13: 2049-2055
- Ten-year trends in health-related quality of life after surgical and conventional treatment for severe obesity: the SOS intervention study.Int J Obes (Lond). 2007; 31: 1248-1261
- QUALITY OF LIFE AFTER VERTICAL GASTRECTOMY EVALUATED BY THE BAROS QUESTIONNAIRE.Arq Bras Cir Dig. 2017; 30: 14-17
Eisenberg D, Shikora SA, Aarts E, Aminian A, Angrisani L, Cohen RV, et al. 2022 American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) and International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders (IFSO): Indications for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2022;18(12):1345-1356.
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare no conflicts of interest related to this study.