The foregut theory as a possible mechanism of action for the remission of type 2 diabetes in low body mass index patients undergoing subtotal gastrectomy for gastric cancerThe question of whether pure metabolic surgery could be used in nonobese patients with type 2 diabetes has been considered. The objective of this study was to assess the comparative effects of the Billroth I (BI) and Billroth II (BII) reconstruction methods on remission of type 2 diabetes in nonobese patients undergoing subtotal gastrectomy for cancer.
Diagnosis and treatment of Zollinger Ellison syndrome in a morbidly obese patient after Roux-en-Y gastric bypassZollinger Ellison syndrome (ZES) is rare entity characterized by recurrent peptic ulcers due to high acid production from gastric parietal cells as a result of elevated secretion of the hormone gastrin [1–5]. The abnormally high levels of gastrin are caused by a gastrin-secreting neuroendicrine tumor (gastrinoma) that frequently develops from the pancreas or from the first or second portion of the duodenum, in the denominated “gastrinoma triangle” [2–5]. Approximately 75% of ZES cases are sporadic, with the remaining 25% associated with multiple endocrine neoplasm type 1 .
Laparoscopic conversion of sleeve gastrectomy to Roux-en-Y gastric bypass for acute gastric outlet obstruction after laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy for morbid obesityLaparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy (LSG) has become a frequently used surgical treatment of morbid obesity. Complications such as stricture resulting in gastric outlet obstruction are rare but require early recognition and treatment. We present a case of acute gastric outlet obstruction in a patient who had undergone LSG and was successfully treated with Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGB).